Mountain Literature Classics: Space Below my Feet by Gwen Moffat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

For a climbing book, there's surprisingly little climbing in Space Below My Feet, says Ronald Turnbull. But for her Bohemian, bivvybag lifestyle, and total devotion to the mountains, Moffat makes most of her 1950 and 60s contemporaries seem just a little bit tame.

Read more

Mick Ward 24 Feb 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Space Below My Feet is an iconic classic of mountaineering literature. Sure, there may not be that much actual climbing in it... but who cares? Gwen Moffat wonderfully captures the joy of being out in the hills. It's with you long after your hardest leads are dim memories. It's in you forever. 

'In Chapter 8 there is a brief climbing moment; Moffat leads a route on Lliwedd, barefoot and pregnant, to qualify for the women-only Pinnacle Club.'

Poignant. Last year I received a message from Gwen Moffat's daughter Sheena, via John Syrett's sister, Pol. (Strange to think of it bouncing from Derbyshire to New Zealand, to Dorset.) Seems that Sheena somehow found out that I'd long been intrigued by something and gracefully confirmed it. 

In 1972, as barefoot and pregnant as her mother on Lliwedd, she led Tabula Rosa at Langcliffe. 

If you flick onto the UKC database you'll probably find Tabula Rosa listed at HVS and think, well, that wasn't such a big deal. The reality is HXS, tottering rubble, where a lead fall will mean death for all members of the party. I'd guess that fewer people have led Tabula Rosa than have stood on the moon. The commitment involved is enormous. It brought me closer to breaking point than any other route I've ever done. 

Gwen Moffat wrote many good books and one great one. She was a good climber. But Sheena, she was something else entirely... something above and beyond. 

Mick 

leland stamper 26 Feb 2022

Dear BMC/Queen,

Isn't it about time Gwen Moffat got a gong/Damehood or some such mostly for being a proper female professional climber, a brilliant role model and the first qualified female climbing guide in the country. Given she is 97 and older than you/the Queen, I think it's about time.

I've only read her climbing stuff which is great. I can't comment on the rest of her writing so we'll leave that there.

Thanks

Tim Meehan (age 64 and 1/4)

Ger_the_gog 26 Feb 2022

I love books like this - they're right up my alley - and Gwen's story sounds fascinating. This is one I'll be keeping an eye out for.

Does anyone else feel a strange sense of emotion when reading about past pioneers' adventures on familiar routes or crags? 

leland stamper 26 Feb 2022
In reply to leland stamper:

For those that can't be arsed to read I found this -yes I know it's a shitty Red Bull sponsor job but you can't have everything and you have almost everything in this short film. If someone sees Claire Carter(lives in Sheffield) please say thank you from me. It's brilliant and only 15 mins.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/episodes/operation-moffat-reel-rock-s02-e09

Mark Kemball 26 Feb 2022

Space Below my Feet is a great read. My dad pointed me at it when I was a kid and I’ve enjoyed rereading it a few times since. Enjoy. 

CantClimbTom 26 Feb 2022

A surprisingly sensitively made and deep film for Red bull. Thanks for link, enjoyed that!

Ger_the_gog 28 Feb 2022

Looks like Redbull have pulled that documentary from their site.

Not to worry, the TeamBMC YouTube channel is premiering it on March 4th. Marvellous.

youtube.com/watch?v=VAckXatb3s4&

In reply to Mick Ward:

Yes, Mick, I love that book. One of the few mountain books that deserves the term 'classic'. I was fortunate enough to get to know Sheena quite well in 1970 when she was climbing with John Syrett, and I think I met her a few times after that in the mid-70s, maybe in the Padarn or in Chamonix, but sadly I'm fairly certain I never met her extraordinary mother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...