Mountain Literature Classics: Menlove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A bold and talented climber responsible for some great North Wales routes (and a few horrors), and a writer of hard, stripped-back climbing prose, John Menlove Edwards was also deeply troubled. What makes Jim Perrin's biography a classic, says Ronald Turnbull, are the extended extracts from Menlove's own writing.   

Read more

tutbury 09 Mar 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles: It's some time since I read the book but I do remember the extremely poignant poems he wrote after his brief relationship with a well known climber/ mountaineer of the day. His later life was particularly tragic.

Michael Gordon 09 Mar 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Ed Drummond's 'review' of the book (in A Dream of White Horses) is also essential reading as another take on Perrin's analysis. You don't read many reviews like that!

alan moore 09 Mar 2023

Some great writing about some great writing.

Thanks!

Wimlands 09 Mar 2023

Some articles on UKC this week… Thank you

Pedro50 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Ed Drummond's 'review' of the book (in A Dream of White Horses) is also essential reading as another take on Perrin's analysis. You don't read many reviews like that!

JimLove Menwords, utterly classic!

alan moore 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> JimLove Menwords, utterly classic!

Also a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Pedro50 10 Mar 2023
In reply to alan moore:

I think the kettle has a few more skeletons in his closet than just outing JME.

Mick Ward 11 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Maybe so. But no proper biography of Edwards could have failed to mention his sexuality. Back then Jim was fascinated by biography. If I remember correctly he did his PhD about it. He simply had to deal with Edwards' sexuality. 

However my understanding is that he held back publication for several years through a desire to avoid pain to some elderly people. And I gather that the book was only published after they'd passed away. I believe much the same thing happened with 'The Villain'. 

While Jim is undoubtedly a colourful character, he can also show great tenderness and compassion. He's never capitalised on this in any way and it almost always gets forgotten. 

As some dude put it:

'The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones...'

Mick 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...