INTERVIEW: Mike Coppock, FKT on the Haute Route Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

In September 2021, Mike Coppock ran the fastest known time on the Haute Route Pyrenees, completing the classic 750km route solo and self-supported over 12 days. High mountain terrain and hefty daily distance and ascent made for a gruelling challenge, but it was a journey he clearly relished too. He tells us all about it. 

Read more

neuromancer 14 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Be curious if he'd be willing to post his kit list? (I bet he has it written down!)

Ross McGibbon 16 Mar 2022

Wow! Took me 5 and a half weeks to walk it and I thought I was going well.

Jamie Hageman 16 Mar 2022

Wow, that's very fast!  I'd love to go back to the Pyrenees.  I'm a little worried about the resurgence of bears though.  Am I being silly or is it a real danger?  It's not something I want to be worrying about.  

Only a Crag 21 Mar 2022

Top effort Mike well done self supported with pack under 4kg some beasht! 

65 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> Wow, that's very fast!  I'd love to go back to the Pyrenees.  I'm a little worried about the resurgence of bears though.  Am I being silly or is it a real danger?  It's not something I want to be worrying about.  

I wouldn't worry about it though there is a certain frisson when you're walking through thick maquis on your own, picking myrtilles and all is quiet. People very rarely see them, but that's a lot more than 25 years ago when no-on ever saw one. There was face to face charge in, iirc, Val d'Aran a couple of years ago and recently a hunter in Ariege was attacked. He got badly bitten but he shot the bear. There isn't anywhere I wouldn't go but there are some places where I'd make a bit more noise. I've met a couple of people carrying pepper spray, something I've never considered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...