UKH

ARTICLE: Meet the activists helping to diversify the outdoors: Cherelle Harding of Steppers UK

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Cherelle Harding in the Peak District: "We should care that not everyone is benefiting from these wonderful spaces"

A recent survey found that while more than 16% of White people in England regularly participate in hiking and mountaineering, just 2.6% of Black people and less than 4% of South Asian background do so. Many organisations are working to improve inclusion, but some of the big steps are being taken at a grassroots level, where new community groups are bringing the rewards of the outdoors to people of all backgrounds. Here we speak with keen walker Cherelle Harding about a group she founded, Steppers UK.

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

The outdoors is also a great place for people of all races/sex/religion etc to take a break from the incessant creep of group identity politics into every aspect of our lives. 

'Activism' ? 'Changing the system throughout' ?  - To me, this type of language isn't synonymous with the outdoor experience. 

"Irrespective of anyone's background, it is often asked how people with limited access to the countryside, and little personal experience of the outdoors, might be expected to treat nature with respect. Education cannot take place without inclusion."

-who on Earth "often" asks this question? Leaving piles of rubbish and human faeces isn't a consequence of limited access to the countryside.

In reply to martinbettridge06:

It’s great that activism and conversations about race aren’t synonymous with your experiences of accessing the outdoors. Have you considered that this might be because you are fortunate enough that they haven’t ever needed to be and that other people might have different experiences?

In reply to Stuart Williams:

> It’s great that activism and conversations about race aren’t synonymous with your experiences of accessing the outdoors. Have you considered that this might be because you are fortunate enough that they haven’t ever needed to be and that other people might have different experiences?

You've just written exactly what I wanted to say, which is ultimately a reminder that other perspectives exist, beyond our own. Just because something seems one way to me, doesn't mean it's that way for everyone. 

In light of this, a post which ultimately says "who actually thinks like this?" and "to me that isn't relatable" may wish to re-read the article, as they've clearly missed the point.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...