ARTICLE: Ladakh's Pursuit of Sustainability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

In an industry marked by danger, trekkers must consider the safety and environmental credentials of their destination. Marianna Keen explores the gold standards under adoption in Ladakh and exposes its potential to be a sustainable player in the Himalaya.

"It's my job to put them in the zone," says Steve, as his team discuss whether to continue the training exercise over the snow-laden 4,900-metre Shang la (mountain pass) to spend the next night at Matho phu—the highest point of Matho valley. Some students previously mentioned that they valued "consequential learning", and perhaps that stuck in Steve's mind. The experience would surely teach them to come prepared for the unexpected.

Read more

HHay 17 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Distracting read, although I confess I was expecting something a bit more grounded in data (like amount of tourism related waste over time, CO2 emission as a function of time...), political context and policy analysis. As it stands, the article seems more a collection of anecdots and personnal testimonies. Although interesting, I don't think they provide an in-depth analysis of the sustainability issues in Ladakh. Perhaps the article could be renamed "Introducing Ladakhi trekking guides to safety and clean tourism" ?

mike123 17 Jul 2022

excellent article . I really enjoyed it . I might be a bit biased as lahdak is one of favourite places in India . Great to see they are making sone kind of effort 

Arms Cliff 17 Jul 2022

Not sure how much difference the environmental credentials of a destination are going to make to the overall impact of a holiday if one has to fly long haul to get there? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...