NEWS: Kendal Mountain Festival 2017: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 21 Nov 2017
Kendal Mountain Festival is wrapped up for another year and the 2017 edition was the biggest and arguably the best yet. The festival proved once again to be a busy and inspiring four days of films, photos, music, art and literature with plenty of beer, food and social activity on the side. A notable addition to the programme was the long-awaited dedicated Literature Festival, with over 20 events featuring respected authors and writers. Special sessions in a wide range of outdoor activities gave the event an even broader appeal to adventure enthusiasts.

Read more
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I think this was easily the best Kendal in recent years. Several big improvements I noticed were as follows:

Loads more younger visitors, from kids through those in their twenties, making the festival feel much more representative of mountain adventure rather than just being an old folks outing with expensive jackets (age wise that is outside the speakers and trade reps... they still have the same jacket problems!). A bonus on this was the 'old stagers' who know me found it harder to claim the free pints you (Natalie) gave away on my behalf (on that Kendal people thread: naughty but very funny and so forgiven ).

Long films run separately from the themed sessions. Most of us can cope with a short disappointment in a session but not 60+ minutes of such.

The return of some activity themed film sessions (Rock, Mountain etc). I know its a bit sad that some visitors pigeon-hole but imagine if your thing is a bit niche like white water and you can't get to see all the films on that subject. This year's mix worked much better than last year.

On continuing good stuff. The speakers and films were as impressive as ever. The base camp was as excellent as last year: really interesting stands with lots of fun things to do, good stuff to buy and lots of free talks with Liam working his magic and the return of some great beer. The only downer for me is most of those richer older folks not buying as much stuff as they should (often despite some great discounts).... older climbers remain a rather mean tribe. In my view, the volume and quality of books and guides in climbing in recent years form a publishing golden age. I'd particularly love it if Johnny had sold all his remaining biographies by next year!

As an aside, the session opening credit sequence was the best I've seen which really helps as you see it so much. I liked Claire's poem read over the well selected film clips and music (and even quoted her a line to help her avoid a less than exciting presentation and do something a bit more life affirming instead).

I'd also personally add as a BMC supporter thanks to the team (paid and volunteers) for their work in rather tricky times. The BMC breakfast was great fun again and yet again I'm reminded that although Niall is nominally a guide book editor, he does so much else to add joy and attention (and a bit of mischief) to the messages that the BMC need to get over to their members and prospective members. The 'guess the mountaineering scenarios' based on vegetable puppets, he used to put the BMC ambassador, Mary Ann, on the spot , were pure genius but I guess too risky for wider public viewing.

I missed 'sparing' with Alan over a pint... get well soon... but your team did you proud.
In reply to Offwidth:

> I missed 'sparing' with Alan over a pint... get well soon... but your team did you proud.

I missed it all too, would have been great to be there. The first in 10 years for me I think. Also not around tomorrow night at the BMC Peak Area Quiz, which is another regular event that I don't like to miss.

Recovery good though thanks, but mobility is terrible.

Alan
 Dauphin 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Hit and run this year.

No day tickets left on Saturday morning.

You need a new venue - or better crowd control. Maybe both. Glad that it's much bigger in terms of punters last few years but you really need to sort this out.

Came mainly to see Bernadette talk about V.K. and biography and want disappointed, was half hoping when the book was talked about last year that you might manage to drag him from his lair for the event. Still it might happen one day.

D
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Why would you expect Saturday films tickets to be left on the day???... some talks sell out months before. We had Saturday film tickets and as long as you got there a bit before the session started it seemed fine (not always so in the past as some 'mountaineering' sessions were super popular. The Saturday 9.00 am "Create" session was half empty in the Theatre!

Sure it's crowded on Saturday but there are a lot more venues (hence choices) than a few years back and way more free talks, so overall things have much improved.
 Dauphin 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Reflection on how busy it was rather than any particular grumble. No day passes left but plenty of seat spaces in theatres, ho hum.

After last year's 'themes' debacle I wasn't in the mood to sit through hours of stuff that didn't interest me and booked some of the individual films and sessions.

Probably missed a couple of nuggets, but worth the money and effort not to endure an all day haze and graze.

Nope, the crowds around the entrance / bar queues especially in the evening to see films need sorting.

Just shut the bar and have an entrance and exit. How difficult is that?

D

Offwidth 21 Nov 2017
In reply to JSTaylor:

It's not agism, its a demographic reality; like old folks being more likely to have voted for brexit. Some older people are very generous in supporting climbing books with their purchases (I'm in that demographic and buy guidebooks for anywhere I go climbing and have over half the new UK climbing biographies and histories produced annually ...arguably too many to even read). Too many climbers of my generation hold meaness as a badge of pride... its just not anything like as common in the young.
 planetmarshall 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

> Came mainly to see Bernadette talk about V.K. and biography and want disappointed, was half hoping when the book was talked about last year that you might manage to drag him from his lair for the event. Still it might happen one day.

Haha, that was never, ever going to happen. We did get John Proctor, Sandy Allan and Steve Swenson at various events - not a bad haul for collectors of Alpinists. And of course, Bernadette herself.

This was my third year at KMF and I really enjoyed it. I only stayed for two days and found that I couldn't fit everything in that I wanted.
On Friday night four sessions clashed that I liked - two were reprised later but I wasn't around to see them.
The big draw for me is the live speakers & the Boardman Tasker session, I will fill in the films as and when I can.
I felt that addition of the literary events that also interested me made for some difficult choices.
I agree with the comments about crowd control - the log jam that ensued when the Theatre emptied and the next event started was mayhem. In & Out routes are needed (probably from a safety point of view)
Moonboard 2016 was absolutely brilliant - Columbia this year not as entertaining.
Finally it would be great if the fold out Planner in the brochure was online when booking as it gave a much better picture of what it was possible to see.
I will be back next year for all three days to get the best out of the event.
 planetmarshall 22 Nov 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> John Proctor, Sandy Allan and Steve Swenson...

Porter, obviously, not Proctor. Blame autocorrect...
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

>
> Just shut the bar and have an entrance and exit. How difficult is that?

>

Are you suggesting KMF liaise with The Brewery and KMF fund the altering of the structure of the building to add another entrance / expand the lobby area ?

Or have people enter the theatre upstairs and leave down stairs. ( disability access issues )

Or leave the theatre from a downstairs fire exit heading straight outside ?

Not use the downstairs bar at all or close it 15 mins before the start / end of an event in the theatre.

Please expand on your easy solution and I'll feed back.
 gav 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Or leave the theatre from a downstairs fire exit heading straight outside ?

Seems pretty straightforward, yes...
 Dauphin 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Just close the bar in the evening - there are plenty of others. One exit, one entrance. However you think is best. As it stands it's a total cluster and surely a safety issue that's being ignored.

Some bodies directing people in and out would of helped.

Best Wishes

D
 Mark Collins 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> It's not agism, its a demographic reality; like old folks being more likely to have voted for brexit. Some older people are very generous in supporting climbing books with their purchases (I'm in that demographic and buy guidebooks for anywhere I go climbing and have over half the new UK climbing biographies and histories produced annually ...arguably too many to even read). Too many climbers of my generation hold meaness as a badge of pride... its just not anything like as common in the young.

Not sure if I'm in your demographic or not, but definitely heading there fast. Despite this I bought a book just shy of £40, so am feeling pretty chuffed with myself now thanks
Ok so here is my must see Q&A panel - Andy Pollitt, Johnny Dawes, John Dunne & John Redhead in an informal setting with a PG rating taking questions from an audience. That is if the audience can get a word in edgeways.
Set that up and you have a winner!
Andy Perkins 29 Nov 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> This was my third year at KMF and I really enjoyed it. I only stayed for two days and found that I couldn't fit everything in that I wanted.

> Finally it would be great if the fold out Planner in the brochure was online when booking as it gave a much better picture of what it was possible to see.

> I will be back next year for all three days to get the best out of the event.

Hi Keith

Glad you enjoyed the Festival.
FYI the planner was online right from early on.
See http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/uploads/page/2113/kmf_2017_festival_planner.p...

See you next year!

All the best

ANDY P

In reply to Andy Perkins:
Thanks Andy - I will look out for that next year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...