OPINION: Keep Mallory's Axe in UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 10 Apr 2014
A vintage axe in use, 2 kbAn antique axe believed to have belonged to George Mallory sold today at auction for a six figure sum. Alex Roddie explains why there were calls to keep this piece of mountaineering history on public display in the UK.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6272
 drolex 10 Apr 2014
In reply to UKH Articles:

Is there a slight confusion between staying in the UK and remaining accessible by the public?

I agree that it should be visible by the public, possibly in the UK because Mallory is a major mountaineer from a British perspective - and so it would make sense for the MHT to acquire it. But if I had to choose I'd prefer the axe to go in a museum abroad than a private collection in the UK.
 Only a hill 10 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Tend to agree with that in principle. At the moment it's unclear who has actually bought the axe, but there's every chance it will now vanish from public view for an indeterminate amount of time - possibly never to resurface (which does sometimes happen when historical artefacts get acquired by collectors).
 FreshSlate 10 Apr 2014

It's a weird one but yeah agree with the sentiment that it's a historical artefact and should probably stay in public hands.

I'm not mad about Everest but ignoring that it's huge piece of mountaineering history.
Removed User 10 Apr 2014

Alex I would recommend The Parthenon Marbles: a case for reunification. by Christopher Hitchens if you're further interested in this theme.

All the best, S
 Merlin 11 Apr 2014

Why just the UK? GM was English...
 Ben1983 12 Apr 2014

It is difficult to know where it has gone; I would be tempted to argue that Nepal has as good a claim to this as the UK does - but I doubt that is where it has gone. There are some candidate museums on the continent that might have been able to afford the axe, and who might be interested, but almost all would recognise the political problems with such a swoop and I think, would only have interfered after having first asked representatives of the mountaineering community here. That said, I can think of one museum that this is not really true of, so there is still some hope that it will appear abroad...
 Only a hill 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Alex I would recommend The Parthenon Marbles: a case for reunification. by Christopher Hitchens if you're further interested in this theme.

> All the best, S

Looks interesting - thanks!
 Castleman 15 Apr 2014

Good punchy article, well done. Good points made.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...