NEWSFLASH: John Kelly Breaks Pennine Way Record - Again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 17 May 2021

For the second time in less than a year, John Kelly has set a new speed record on the Pennine Way. John's time for the 268-mile route now stands at 2 days, 10 hours and 4 minutes, and restores the Pennine Way crown to the UK-based American runner. 

Read more

ablackett 17 May 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

An incredible run, and (I may regret typing this) but a record which I think will stand for a long time. 

One minor editorial point UKC, you describe John's run as a record, but that Damian held the Fastest Know Time, if someone records the times, it's a record, lets use nice straight forward English so everyone knows what we are talking about.  John has broken the record, to suggest that it is a FKT is like describing Everest as the BKM.

john arran 17 May 2021
In reply to ablackett:

> One minor editorial point UKC, you describe John's run as a record, but that Damian held the Fastest Know Time, if someone records the times, it's a record, lets use nice straight forward English so everyone knows what we are talking about.  John has broken the record, to suggest that it is a FKT is like describing Everest as the BKM.

Not the best analogy, seeing as Everest can be categorically and unarguably measured as the highest. A better analogy would be describing the 1953 ascent as the FKA, or Honnold's most famous solo as the First Known Solo of El Cap.

There comes a point at which the likelihood of a 'better' unknown achievement is so vanishingly small it may, and probably should, be assumed it's never happened. The difficulty, of course, is in deciding where that point should be.

supersteve 17 May 2021
In reply to john arran:

Everest is the highest in altitude, but Mauna Loa is higher from its base, and Chimborazo's summit is the furthest from the centre of the earth. So depends on how you measure....

Anyway, an amazing endurance effort. I can't imagine covering that distance in 2.5 weeks, let alone 2.5 days. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...