NEWS: John Kelly Breaks Pennine Way Fastest Known Time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 16 Jul 2020

John Kelly has broken the 31-year-old Pennine Way fastest known time with a time of 2 days, 16 hours and 40 minutes. The previous record for the 268-mile route, set by Mike Hartley in 2 days, 17 hours and 20 minutes, had stood since 1989.

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm exhausted just from the dot watching.

It really has been an exhilarating week as far as FKTs are concerned, with John breaking the Pennine Way Record, Kim Collison breaking the long standing Lakes 24hr Record, and Sabrina Verjee becoming the first woman to complete the Wainwright Round.

Impressive on each and every level, not least because of the length of time some of those records have stood for (and the concept of keeping going for six days straight). 

Red Rover 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Why have there been so many broken records lately? is it a post-lockdown rebound?

Col Kingshott 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Red Rover: Probably because most of these athletes are usually training for and/or competing in organised events. None of those are on so FKT’s on routes that either aren’t on race calendars or feature mandatory kit lists are a good compromise. Plus they will still have been training hard and need to use the fitness. Impressive stuff. 

Red Rover 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Col Kingshott:

I'm probably talking rubbish but why doesn't this kind of runner go to the Olympics? Are fell-runners generally not interested or does fell running not translate well to the flatter runs at the Olympics? I suppose the runs at the Olympics are a lot shorter than the big fell runs. Could an Olympic marathon runner do well on the BGR? 

Clauso 16 Jul 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Fair play to John on his PW FKT. That's some effort! 

... Of course, I don't like to talk about it much, but I still proudly hold the PW FUT. I could tell you my time, but that would nullify my record. 

webbo 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

> I'm probably talking rubbish but why doesn't this kind of runner go to the Olympics? Are fell-runners generally not interested or does fell running not translate well to the flatter runs at the Olympics? I suppose the runs at the Olympics are a lot shorter than the big fell runs. Could an Olympic marathon runner do well on the BGR? 

Probably because they can’t run fast enough. 

Herdwickmatt 16 Jul 2020

For a lot of these guys and gals their marathon times are just not amazing(still fast but no way near elite runners, and even In a lot of cases good quality club runners). Beth Pascall (4th at Western and the UTMB I think) has a 2:50ish marathon. It’s good but not Earth shattering. What sets them apart is their ability to maintain momentum, deal with the bad times, keep fuelling etc. It’s a mindset thing. I’d recommend Adharanand Finns podcast with Beth. It’s really interesting, as are all his podcasts.

Also it’s probably worth noting lots of these FKT ares set by amateurs because they have the ability to timetable it, whereas an elite runner must win big races to maintain contracts etc. If som of the elite Kenyans/Ethiopians moved into ultras I think we’d see a lot of these records go way down.

Edit: really well done John! Cracking effort and hope you enjoyed Northumberland again

Post edited at 22:21
XXXX 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Two questions there. 

1. Because there isn't a 250 mile event at the Olympics.

2. 'Normal' fell runners are fast. The only one I know off the top of my head was Kenny Stuart who google helpfully reminds me had a marathon pb of 2.11 in 1989.

Herdwickmatt 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Oh and the BGR is very rough compared to a road marathon. I’m sure they’d destroy the run into keswick though!

In reply to Red Rover:

> Why have there been so many broken records lately? is it a post-lockdown rebound?

It does seem like a lot has happened within the space of a single week. As to why exactly this week, who knows, but I guess we've had a bit of time post lockdown for each of the individuals to get out/about and refamiliarise themselves with rough terrain, only for it to then proceed to rain a lot. The fact that each of these came the week after the deluge stopped speaks volumes, as I suspect they were all fit and raring to go.

That said, this is all complete speculation. Hopefully we'll be able to get an interview where we'll be able to ask more questions.

McHeath 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Also - the closer to midsummer you get out, the more daylight you get. John Kelly apparently had around 20 hours daily, and I suppose every additional hour spent running in the dark would slow you down somewhat. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...