INTERVIEW: Damian Hall on the Paddy Buckley, Baking Brownies, & Extinction Rebellion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Damian Hall completing his record breaking Winter Paddy Buckley Round Damian Hall recently completed a record breaking winter Paddy Buckley Round, finishing in a time of 21:20:30 - 7 minutes ahead of Jim Mann's previous fastest known time. We caught up with him to find out more.

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Inspirational

James FR 10 Feb 2020

That is awesome. Hardest part of the run IMO: "For my winter record I was unsupported, so I only used what I carried (plus water from rivers). A really kind guy called Nick left a Tunnock's bar on a wall for me at Nantmor and I had to resist it."

Tremendous.

Personally I’d love to know more about this pubic transport that he used, but perhaps that’s childish of me when considering such a great achievement.

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I might be mis-interpreting your comment John, or was it intended as a joke?

I don't understand why you are interested in the public transport. It is the least interesting (although still worthy) part of the story to me and is something you can easily look up online if you want.

Simon Caldwell 10 Feb 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

There's a typo in the article

Roadrunner6 10 Feb 2020
In reply to James FR:

"(full disclosure: Lee from inov-8 met me twice to take photos/video but gave me nothing other than encouragement. "

I'd be careful with that. That's still emotional support. It does make a difference mentally. It is hard to balance with sponsors. Honestly, I think once or twice very very briefly is OK but too much and it will vary into supported land. Anyone who has done 20 hour days in the hills will know about the loneliness and doubt which can be an issue.

https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt-guidelines

Supported

Supported means you have a crew that meets you along the way. This can range from one person handing you water once, to an entire team that accompanies you the whole distance giving you everything (except physical assistance -- FKTs are self-powered). Whether it’s just once or continuously, any support at all means it’s a Supported trip. Supported can enable the fastest trips due to the ability to carry less weight.  To get a Supported FKT you also have to beat the fastest Self-Supported and Unsupported times (since those times were also set within the "rules" for Supported style).

Self-Supported

Self-Supported means you may have as much support as you can manage or find along the way, but not from any pre-arranged people helping you. This can range from caching supplies in advance, purchasing supplies along the way, to finding or begging for food or water. Most long thru-hiking routes are done Self-Supported.  To get a Self-Supported FKT you also have to beat the fastest Unsupported time (Unsupported is a subset of Self-Supported).

Unsupported

Unsupported means you have no external support of any kind. This means you carry everything you need from start to finish except water. This naturally limits the length of an Unsupported trip. If a person is accompanied or paced for any distance, it automatically becomes a Supported trip. Teams, however, can be Unsupported as long as they all travel and finish together. A mixed gender team can be Unsupported, but an individual traveling as part of such a team cannot claim an Unsupported FKT in their gender (they could claim a Supported - paced - FKT in their gender).

"If a person is accompanied or paced for any distance, it automatically becomes a Supported trip. " is the crucial line.

Just to add (I saw the dislike), this was an issue in recent White Mountain hut traverse records where females have claimed self supported (and been given it) but had guys running behind them which they say doesn't count as support - with the Hut Traverse there is really no unsupported because the point is to use the huts for support. Obviously it's far clearer but there's still people arguing that it is acceptable.

Post edited at 14:19
Roadrunner6 10 Feb 2020

> Damian Hall recently completed a record breaking winter Paddy Buckley Round, finishing in a time of 21:20:30 - 7 minutes ahead of Jim Mann's previous fastest known time. We caught up with him to find out more.

> Read more

Beating the record is one thing, I really think you should mention solo, unsupported. The records are in no way comparable.

Pubic transport is a subject best kept private. Thanks for spotting the typo

In reply to Roadrunner6:

It's there at the top of the article:

"Damian Hall recently completed a record breaking winter Paddy Buckley Round, finishing in a time of 21:20:30 - seven minutes ahead of Jim Mann's previous FKT (fastest known time). As if this weren't impressive enough, Damian approached the round in a solo, unsupported style, further adding to the difficulties..."

And then it's talked about in more depth later.

Roadrunner6 10 Feb 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I meant just in the line at the top of the page.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Ah right. It's a space issue - we always keep that bit short

Roadrunner6 10 Feb 2020

> Tremendous.

> Personally I’d love to know more about this pubic transport that he used, but perhaps that’s childish of me when considering such a great achievement.

> jcm

Like Mountain.Martin I had no idea what you were on about.. he used a bloody train or something! Now I see..

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

You were lucky - this particular typo can be worse. A long time ago my firm sent out some marketing material boasting of our ‘great experience in the pubic sector’.

jcm

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> There's a typo in the article

Ah, got it, think I'll put my planned career change to proof reader on hold. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...