NEWS: Conwy Lad, Age 8, Completes Welsh 3000-ers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 17 Sep 2019
Pre dawn on Snowdon Eight-year-old Griff Near has become the youngest known person to climb the 15 highest mountains in Wales in under 24 hours. He's also one of the youngest we've ever interviewed!

Read more
Roadrunner6 17 Sep 2019
In reply to UKH News:

Didn't John Fleetwood's lad do this aged 5 or 6?

In reply to Roadrunner6:

John's son Ben completed the Wainwrights at age six, and the Munros by the age of 10. As far as I know he's not done the Welsh 3000s at 8 or younger (if he's done them at all yet?)

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2011/09/the_youngest_munro_completer-63851

Roadrunner6 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I thought I saw him one day doing them.. maybe I'm getting confused.

Roadrunner6 17 Sep 2019

http://longdistancechallenges.blogspot.com/p/wales.html

Yeah he was 6. I remembered seeing him in Nant that day.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Well remembered! OK, we'll amend that headline. Thanks

Roadrunner6 17 Sep 2019

Sorry Griff! Great that he's getting out.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yes, really great! As a parent of moderately keen and able small hill walkers - who'd never get near something like this - I'm incredibly impressed with both Ben and Griff. The 'youngest' record is a nice headline but even more impressive is just doing it at all at that age.  

Roadrunner6 17 Sep 2019

It caused quite an issue on social media I thought, when John posted that Ben had done it. Its hard to want to encourage others to get their kids out and not stick your head above the parapet and risk getting abuse for being a pushy parent.. 

My daughter is 3.5 and she's been hiking with me but will spend 20 minutes watching ant trails asking why to every answer I give...

She just loves camping and hiking though.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

I remember it well. Poking sticks into sheep poo, the joy of a muddy puddle etc. Give it a year or two - we can manage a reasonable hill day these days, usually with no tantrums or grumbles.

I guess any family can coax their kids up the occasional Munro. But surely there's no way you could push a child do something properly big unless they were genuinely into it? I think they'd have to be massively self motivated. Griff certainly seems to have more enthusiasm and sheer gumption than most adult hillwalkers 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...