Classic Winter - Beinn Alligin Traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Whether you're a seasoned climber, or a hillwalker taking early steps into winter mountaineering, this airy but accessible grade I ridge traverse is about as close to perfection as you'll get on a Scottish mountain, says Dan Bailey.

Read more

olddirtydoggy 17 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

We've got your old Cicerone book and gradually we're working through the lot. Did Alligin just before Christmas in a 15 degree heatwave and cloud inversions. On Saturday just gone, we knocked of the grade 3 scramble on Creise (p57), that's a fantastic. I'm not going to blow too much smoke up your backside but your book is a wonderful greatest hits to the Scot mountain ridges.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thanks!

Robert Durran 18 Jan 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> We've got your old Cicerone book and gradually we're working through the lot. Did Alligin just before Christmas in a 15 degree heatwave and cloud inversions. 

Did I meet you? I spent the last two inversion days (Mon, Tues) on Alligin, camping on top of Sgurr Mor. I met a few people both days on Tom na Gruagaich. I was taking millions of photos!

olddirtydoggy 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Possible. I was the distinguished looking gentleman with an extremely good looking wife. The only person we bumped into was a bloke with a dog who we were told has an appetite for ham sandwiches. That week was quite something. 

PaulJepson 18 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Deep South Gully (I) is also a nice way to start the traverse of the peaks but I'd say Horns of Alligin (Grade-1) is better if I had to pick one. 

Really lovely mountain; I always thought it looked a bit like a snail shell. Eag Dubh is one of the most intimidating things I've ever seen. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...