Classic Scramble - Liathach Traverse, Plus a Bit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

How do you improve one of the great ridge traverses of Scotland? With a bonus extra hands-on start, says Dan Bailey.

Read more

mountainbagger 08 Aug 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

I did this in the wind and rain about 10 years ago. Was meant to be winter climbing but weather was so awful it stripped everything so went scrambling instead!

Due to the wet and windy conditions, this start was more fun and less scary than the ridge itself 😱

Bulls Crack 08 Aug 2022

A great day out. The actual pinnacles re a little bit contrived ie they can be by-passed just about anywhere. but the main bypass path actually looks quite scary! 

irish paul 09 Aug 2022

We did this loop last summer,  but moving anti-clockwise and continued on due east to extend the running by an extra couple of km, finishing at the car park for Ben Aliginn. Could really do with a path for the final boggy section to the road!!!

kwoods 09 Aug 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Makes me think, is it really contrived if it seems just about as easy (at least not as worrying..) to go over the pinnacles than around them?

kwoods 09 Aug 2022
In reply to kwoods:

Also always thought An Teallach was definitely contrived as the natural line seems to miss most of the rock.

Mike-W-99 09 Aug 2022
In reply to kwoods:

Maybe the tricky start which is easily bypassed if need be(we did the 1st time as it was pre climbing days and folks were faffing with ropes) but I've always thought the rest spot on and by far and away my favourite of the classic mainland scrambles.

In reply to kwoods:

> Makes me think, is it really contrived if it seems just about as easy (at least not as worrying..) to go over the pinnacles than around them?

I'm with you on that. The chicken path is way worst. Gravelly and at a cross angle. Had to do it with a pal who baulked at the pinnacles. Think I was more nervous than them!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...