JOBS: Centre Manager position - Kong Adventure, Keswick Cumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 20 Oct 2022

The role of Centre Manager is offered with a start date in December or as soon as possible thereafter. As centre manager, you would be in charge of the climbing centre staff team which currently employs 3 full time staff plus 3 part time instructors and café weekend staff.

Read more

MisterPiggy 21 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

It looks like an interesting, varied role at the heart of the community. I reckon it would prove engaging and fulfilling for the right candidate. But at only £26k pa, it seems woefully underpaid.

Or am I out of touch with what such roles are worth? I'd really like to know as I'm looking to return to the UK and would need a job. £26k would barely cover rent in Cumbria, let alone feed/heat myself and my family.

ExiledScot 21 Oct 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

You forgot the bonus that you can climb there for free! It's an odd incentive to boast on a job ad, you're the manager, route setter, staff trainer etc... of course you'll be able to climb for free. Does any wall charge its manager to climb? 

FactorXXX 21 Oct 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> You forgot the bonus that you can climb there for free! 

If you have the time to do so:
"You will be expected to work at least 42 hours a week and to work weekends. The centre is open from 9.30am to 9.30pm through the week so some of your hours will be during the evening".

Ridge 21 Oct 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

You certainly won't be living in Keswick or even anywhere near the NP on that salary. It's probably about the going rate for West Cumbria.

static266 21 Oct 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

£11.90 per hour, at the very most, according to the posted salary. Unless the owner/director is there on a daily basis steering the ship that is particularly poor pay for a general manger in any sector. 

Kalna_kaza 21 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

I live in Cumbria and really rate King Kong, it's a great asset for Keswick. 

Having worked in hospitality in the lakes (see my posting history) it isn't great to see this sort of salary for someone who is going to commit a huge amount of their energy to making it work. My lakes experience is a little dated now but a quick search shows this salary is similar to what the new Keswick Premier Inn is offering for a receptionist (a crucial and often difficult role) but without the pressure and responsibility of managing an entire climbing wall.

Prices have gone up across the board and people understand this. Proper pay for proper people. 

I hope you find the right person 🙂 

Ridge 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> I live in Cumbria and really rate King Kong, it's a great asset for Keswick.

Can't comment on the climbing wall front, and I appreciated the virtual races they ran as we came out of covid, but if I want some running kit and fancy a stiff ignoring by the staff in the shop it's the place to go to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...