NEWS: Bolivia's Cholita Climbers Summit Aconcagua

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 25 Jan 2019

According to Aconcagua Online, a group of five Aymara indigenous women in Bolivia - known as the cholita climbers - have summited Aconcagua (6961m) in the Argentinian Andes near the border with Chile. The women's ascent of the peak - the highest mountain outside of Asia - is a significant achievement nearly five years in the making, and was described as their ultimate mountaineering goal.

Read more

L.A. 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News: That is superb. Good to see them pushing social boundaries. The video really made me smile.

Harry Jarvis 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

What a marvellous story!

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jan 2019

Brilliant,

Chris

BelleVedere 27 Jan 2019

"an easy day out for a lady

lukegorman 29 Jan 2019

awesome

I'm speaking to one of the cholitas on the phone tomorrow - any questions from the forums? Bonus points for translating into Spanish...

Heike 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Not really a question, but you can tell them that I am absolutely loving it and pass on my congratulations! Maybe ask them what their next goal is...

L.A. 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC: I'm intrigued how they're perceived locally and by their home/husbands so maybe try asking 'hace su familia/marido y qué piensan de su profesión ?'

(Tambien creo que tu actitud para hacer esto es fantástica. Gracias para la pelicula)

Disclaimer- If two bags of cement are delivered then sorry but my Spanish is still crap

Post edited at 16:16
mysterion 30 Jan 2019
In reply to L.A.:

As native peoples then surely we should be respecting their culture rather than imposing our Eurocentric views, yes?

Ellie D 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Same as Heike if it's not too late to ask the questions!

Primero quiero decir felicitaciones por lograr Aconcagua! Ustedes son una inspiración para mi, por favor que sigan subiendo montañas, y lo que les hacen feliz. 

Que piensan sus familias? 

Cuánto tiempo pasan preparando para las subidas? Siguen trabajando como cocineras o ya son tan famoso que no es necesario ahora?

Cuál es el próximo desafio para las cholitas escaladoras?

(What do your families think? How much time do they spend preparing/training and do they still work as cooks? What's the next challenge?)

subtle 31 Jan 2019

Brilliant!

Well done to all the Cholita Climbers.

I love the following, which could equally be changed to any parent who is a climber (or sportsperson):

"My children think I'm a little nuts.

They say "Mom, how can you do this at your age"

I tell them age is no impediment"

Inspiring, lets hope they do inspire more local climbers out there, and that the original Cholita Climbers don't stop now but keep setting more goals.

Mike Stretford 31 Jan 2019
In reply to mysterion:

> As native peoples then surely we should be respecting their culture rather than imposing our Eurocentric views, yes?

You're about 500 years too late with that advice!!! 

This seems like a fine example of Aymara women rejecting the roles imposed on them by European colonisation. Another one here https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/08/flying-cholitas-indigeno... (worth reading that in full for a better understanding).

Aymara are a high planes people, physically well adapted to high altitudes. They are literally at home up there.... too right they don't just cook for climbers of European descent.

mysterion 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Nonsense, Bolivia is one of the most nativist states in South America. And 500 years ago the Aymara had more to fear from the Incas. Stop trying to 'feel good' about yourself.

Mike Stretford 01 Feb 2019
In reply to mysterion:

> Nonsense, Bolivia is one of the most nativist states in South America. And 500 years ago the Aymara had more to fear from the Incas.

The Spanish Conquistidors had defeated the Inca Empire by 1533 (486 years aga... I did say 'about 500 years'!?!). Bolivia is named after Simon Bolivar, an aristocratic Criollo. For most of the countries history it has been ruled by a social elite descended from Europeans. 'Nativist' is the wrong word but I get what you are trying to say, however, the increased influence of the indigenous population is very recent.

> Stop trying to 'feel good' about yourself.

Try to be less assumptive about peoples motives. You don't know me and are well wide of the mark.

Post edited at 12:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...