Loading Notifications...

SITE CHANGES: Beta testers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi everyone,

We've got some new features for UKC/UKH that could do with some user testing and feedback.

Anyone wishing to give the new site a whirl please head to https://www2.ukclimbing.com.

Login to the popup using

User: beta, Password: t3sting

There's a link at the top of every page to a separate forum for feedback and faults: https://www2.ukhillwalking.com/forums/development/

Main changes:

Logbooks
The crag page has an updated route table! Though some will miss the three column layout, it was looking dated, and didn't allow useful filtering and searching. The new table lets you order by any column listed (number of stars, type of climb, whether you have climbed it etc.), search through using a text search box (which will search through the climb name, description, and buttress), and filter based on a range of criteria.

There is also a new buttresses bar, which will automaticaly scroll as you scroll down past each buttress. You can also click on any of them to jump to that section in the table.

Clicking on the Rockfax icon for a route that exists in the rockfax database will open it in the app (iOS only right now).

Be sure to also check out the 'View partners ascents' functionality that was added a few months ago.

Example:  Stanage Popular

Notifications and Bookmarks
You can now get personalised notifications! At the moment you can get notified about new articles, forum posts, and replies to your messages on the forums. You can choose exactly what notifications to get (i.e. only articles related to bouldering), and you can opt in/out at any time.
We plan to add more types of notifications as time goes on, and to also eventually allow push notifications (i.e. banners from your browser on your desktop/phone). This is the first step, and we wanted to see how much they're used before expanding.

Notifications can be viewed from any page by clicking the bell icon in the top right. You have the option to mark the notification as read, delete it, or bookmark it's content for later. These options can be accessed on mobile by swiping the notification left. Clicking on the notification itself will open the linked content.

Currently, you won't receive many forum notifications, only threads posted on www2, or automatic ones to the UKC/UKH threads.

You can now bookmark articles, crags, forum posts and replies, to help you keep track of your favourite content. Similarly to notifications, we plan to add more things you can bookmark.

After bookmarking an item by clicking the obvious button, they can be found in the User drop-down menu at the top of every page. On the bookmarks page, you can 'tag' bookmarks with any number of custom categories to help you better organise them.

As this is quite a big new feature, I'm anticipating a few teething problems, but please let us know of any issue you encounter on the development forum. And bear with us if things aren't fixed immediately!

Thanks, Andy and Paul

Post edited at 18:16
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Can't mate. I'm all Alpha. 

Frank R. 10 Jan 2020

You entered beta as your user name, which doesn't match anyone in our database.

Are you sure it’s live yet ?

I would have preferred a beta subdomain instead of new beta login, but whatever...

Mike-W-99 10 Jan 2020
 LGraham 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank R.:

I’m not sure if UKC is mangling the link, but you need to go to the www2 subdomain https://www2.ukclimbing.com then you’ll get a HTTP basic authentication alert, don’t try to login the normal way. 

Edit: yes it removes the 2 from the URL...

Post edited at 21:35
 LGraham 10 Jan 2020

IMO the Select2s (or whatever they are) in the crag filter modal don’t work nicely on iOS 12 Safari. They jump around when you scroll and scrolling through the options is buggy. 

I can’t bookmark this thread, ‘Error authorising feedback: are you logged in?’  Bookmarking a Crag works.

Frank R. 10 Jan 2020

"You entered beta as your user name, which doesn't match anyone in our database."

Not working for me...

Stein 11 Jan 2020

I get an error when going to the feedback forum post:

'Error: No such forum.'

I like the new crag page though, easier to navigate to the different sectors of the crag with the top row instead of having to scroll and search through 3 columns, good work.

Post edited at 08:02
In reply to Stein:

I've fixed the links in Andy's post. Needed to link to www2 instead of www for the site and forum links.

https://www2.ukhillwalking.com/forums/development/

reubenrules123 11 Jan 2020

I'd say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I prefer the old crag page layout. Could there be the option to choose your preferred layout? 

scott titt 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

I get...

Unauthorized

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

In reply to scott titt:

Sounds like you're not using the right credentials. Use this in the popup when you go to www2.

User: beta, Password: t3sting

scott titt 11 Jan 2020

I get that message straight after I click the link, I don't get a chance to enter anything!

wbo2 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKHogged in ok, have logged SQL error in separate thread.

In reply to scott titt:

What browser is that in?

RD 12 Jan 2020

Hi

I'm not a fan of the new route layout. I'm using Edge on Windows laptop.

Very poor use of the view layout - too much empty space and the font size/colours just don't work - hard to explain why.

I don't like the Buttress along top. I'd prefer in a scroll bar on the left if it's needed and probably better to hide the buttress description.

It something I would expect someone at school to have developed.

RD

remus 12 Jan 2020
In reply to RD:

> It something I would expect someone at school to have developed.

Let's keep it civil. Especially around something as subjective as interface design.

On the routes page, when I initially looked at it, my first thought was 'oh crap i need to work out the type of lower off for all the routes' (i'm a crag moderator), then I realised it's just the icon indicating 'sport'. However, I wonder if people will look at it and expect to find a nice loweroff crab at the top of every climb... perhaps a quick draw icon would be better?

scott titt 12 Jan 2020

Safari on ipad 

Luke90 12 Jan 2020
In reply to ewanjp:

> On the routes page, when I initially looked at it, my first thought was 'oh crap i need to work out the type of lower off for all the routes' (i'm a crag moderator), then I realised it's just the icon indicating 'sport'. However, I wonder if people will look at it and expect to find a nice loweroff crab at the top of every climb... perhaps a quick draw icon would be better?

Presumably they're the same icons used in Rockfax guides so I'd imagine they'll want to maintain consistency.

Deadeye 12 Jan 2020
In reply to RD:

> Very poor use of the view layout - too much empty space and the font size/colours just don't work - hard to explain why.

> It something I would expect someone at school to have developed.

It something I would expect someone at preschool to dribble.

Deadeye 12 Jan 2020

Hi

Thanks for the update and for inviting feedback.

Works for me and I like the clearer layout.

When I sort by grade, I like the fact it splices in the boulder problems to the trad grades...but F6c+ isn't e1 5b!

wbo2 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH: Hi - just retested page for individual routes on windows, w/ explorer... SQL error occuring there as well in bottom right part of page where it should be 'click on bars to vote'

ChrisJD 13 Jan 2020

Crag layout page a Winner for me, much better.

Windows 10, PC, large monitor

Post edited at 10:00
 NigelHurst 13 Jan 2020

Close button on Order By popup not working - x at top right does but niot button. Firefox on W7

cheers

In reply to NigelHurst:

Adding this feature as we speak, so may not work for a bit, and it may change slightly!

In reply to wbo2:

This should be fixed now

Beanmanclimb 14 Jan 2020

I like but a lot of scrolling through big crags like stanage which gets a bit annoying

In reply to Deadeye:

I like the layout too. At first mixed types confused me. If you sort by grade and then click type you get the list ordered firstly by type and then grade as a second level sort.

jon 19 Jan 2020

> There is also a new buttresses bar, which will automaticaly scroll as you scroll down past each buttress. You can also click on any of them to jump to that section in the table.

I might be missing something. How do you scroll the buttresses across the page to click on one that's off page to the right? Thanks.

Post edited at 10:55
In reply to jon:

On mobile devices (or when using laptop trackpads) you can obviously scroll horizontally through the buttresses with ease. But if using a mouse, you may need to hold the shift key while your cursor is in the buttress headers box, and then use the scroll wheel on your mouse. Holding the shift key allows you to scroll horizontally using a mouse.

The vertical scroll bar for the buttresses is hidden to save some vertical height, as it can take up a lot of space, looks different on every browser/OS, and look a bit ugly.

The buttress will also automatically scroll across as you scroll down the table.

jon 19 Jan 2020

Brilliant thanks, I didn't know that.

Bandage 21 Jan 2020

Like the search box on the crag page - beats having to CTRL-F all the time.

However, I'd like this search box reset whenever i go to a new crag page. At the moment, values entered in the search box persist onto the next page I visit. So if I search for a specific route, then go to another Crag page there will be no routes available, as my old query will still be in the search box.

In reply to Bandage:

Yea, currently changing how states are saved (ie saving which columns you hide/show), and this is just a temporary bug in its implementation that will be fixed today. The search query, any filtering, and any ordering will not be preserved at all. Only the column visibility will be saved for that crag, and any others you visit on that device

Bandage 21 Jan 2020

Great stuff - cheers Andy

Big fan of the layout in crag page. Especially the buttress. Makes skipping around crags I know much faster, and learning the layout of crags I'm yet to visit much easier. Bravo.

However, I see no grades. I've tried pulling the window around to see if it's an adaptive issue, but I can't see grades at all.

Safari on Mojave.

In reply to George Killaspy:

I think this issue has now been fixed. If it persists, can you click on the ellipsis button on the top right of the table (which will allow you to set column visibility), and let me know what is ticked there.

Simon Caldwell 22 Jan 2020

On one of my PCs I was shown by default all columns. On another, same browser, same screen resolution, by default I only saw 3 of them. There was an option that I found where I could add the others, but I can't find it any more! 

Is the ellipsis only shown if some columns are hidden? I don't see one now.

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Can you try force refreshing (ctrl+f5), as this shouldn't really be happening.

The ellipsis should definitely still be there. It should be the header for the column which contains the info button and (if appropriate) the rockfax button

Found it, I was looking on the My Logbook page, oops!

In reply to LGraham:

Yea, I agree it was quite glitchy. I have removed them for the grade and star select.

Using select2s make a lot of sense for the climb type, and ascent filtering as they are multi select. They also won't ever have much content in, so the scrolling issue shouldn't be as evident.

Let me know what you think of the changes.

(I've also fixed bookmark issue, thanks for that)

> Big fan of the layout in crag page. Especially the buttress. Makes skipping around crags I know much faster, and learning the layout of crags I'm yet to visit much easier. Bravo.

What's this about 'especially the buttress'? I can't see anything about buttresses on my desktop version. Or am I being dim?

Post edited at 23:23
 Simon Caldwell 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

https://www2.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/ben_nevis-16877

There is a list of buttresses in a horizontal row at the top, clicking on one will scroll the route list to that buttress

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator UKH Supporter 25 Jan 2020

When viewing partners' ascents, the ticks for 'My logs' and 'Partner ascents' don't line up with the column headings when using a wide monitor.

Again, on the view partners screen, changing (ie. replacing one with another) the partner doesn't update the ticked routes from those of the previous partner.

Again on a wide monitor, the ticks under the 'My logs' column don't align in a normal crag view.

In reply to Neil Foster:

I'll reply to all three points in one message:

1) Because both of these columns can be quite wide, and the contents within each column expand to fill the width, it can appear as though they don't align (i.e. a green tick looks too far right). I presume this is what you're seeing, though please correct me if not. I have entered the text of the header, which should make the alignment seem a bit better.

2) I can't replicate this. If you have one partner selected, then you add another, and remove the first, the ticks should then show the second (the colour may have changed though, so check it isn't just a colour change, or lack thereof, that you are seeing).

3) I think this has been answered in 1)

Feel free to send me any screenshots etc to Andy [at] ukclimbing [dot] com

1) Partner ascents column misalignment now fixed, but 'my logs' misalignment persists - I've sent you a screenshot.

2) I was using a slightly different sequence.  View one partner's ascents. Remove that partner and then add a different partner (with the 'only show climbs done by selected partners' option remaining ticked throughout).  The list for the second partner (now the only one in the dialogue box) includes not only their ticks but also the ticks of the previous partner who is no longer there.

HTH?

Neil

Post edited at 15:08
In reply to Neil Foster:

1) yep, cheers for that. Have replied. No bug, but the tick could be more central (it leave space for ticklish & Wishlist icons)

2) Thanks for this, it was indeed a (pretty big) bug whereby it was never removing the rows of previous peoples ascents. I believe I have fixed this, because going from one person selected to none, clears the table as expected.

Cheers for pointing these out

remus 04 Feb 2020

Apologies if these have been posted already and I've missed them. For reference, Im using chrome 79 on windows 10.

In reply to remus:

Thanks for feedback.

1. This is because as you scroll down the page, the buttresses header is automatically scrolled. This happens when (roughly) a buttress is over 50% in view. So in that case, because pared_de_enfrente_diedros doesn't have many climbs, the buttress below it is above 50% threshold, and so the scroller is showing that one. The problem is, we can't account for every buttress, as some will have 1 climb, and some will have hundreds. So not sure if this can really be addressed, but hopefully this makes sense.
  2. Yep, thanks for spotting that, should be fixed now
  3. We can't recreate this. Could you possibly post this last bit again (maybe with even more description if possible) in the development forum so we can diagnose it there

I'll now be locking this thread. If anyone has any more isssues/suggestions, feel free to post them on the development forum: https://www2.ukhillwalking.com/forums/development/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.