UKC

OI NEWS: OutDoor 2013 - Camping Gear Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 28 Aug 2013
Jet Boil Stove - the Sumo on the left and the new inverted Joule stove on the right, 4 kbThis is the camping gear report and featuring heavily this year are sleeping bags, trekking poles, headlamps and the new Hydrogen Technology - will this catch on, or is it just a gimmick? Time will tell.

The biggest news to us was the Joule stove - this neat looking Jetboil inverts the gas can and also pre heats the fuel... is this the ultimate Alpine stove?!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5666

wilkie14c 28 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
The new jetboil looks fantastic, can't wait to play with one in the shop. I still have the very first JB and it still functions flawlessly and the ignitor has never broke. I've just added the stabliser and big pan kit this year and the design of both is spot on, both items still fit inside the pot along side the gas and burner. stablister fits both small and big canisters too. Great design engineers at Lyon, hats off.
JB tip - after making a brew, light up again for a few secs just to evaporate the little bit of water left in the pan. If not, the bottom of your gas canister will rust in storage and stain the inside of the pan.
 TobyA 28 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c: The new Primus tower stove also looks very good too - I think "the new twist-and-click mechanism for easy pan/stove separation" might demonstrate that manufacturers read and take note of UKC reviews as well! Burning my fingers on the old arrangement was biggest problem with the ETA Solo, and otherwise good alternative to the Jetboil.
 cuppatea 28 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

That's a top tip. And so obvious (after the fact). Thanks!
In reply to UKC Gear: Looks like there are a few new stoves on the market - might there be a stove comparison article on the cards for the near future?
In reply to wilkie14c:

It did look good! They said it performs a lot better than previous versions in cold conditions. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to film it due to it being a prototype at the show.
 Jack Geldard 29 Aug 2013
In reply to David Kirsfelds: Good idea David, but it probably won't be until next summer.

Jack
 london_huddy 29 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'd strongly recommend against your top tip because you'll knacker your jetboil. Without any liquid in the pan, the heat exchanger won't have anything to exchange heat with and will itself heat up and then melt and fall off.

I brewed up with only a small amount of water (all I had left) and this melted the heat exchanger off my titanium jetboil and was firmly told "your fault" by jet boil.
 TobyA 29 Aug 2013
In reply to london_huddy:

> I brewed up with only a small amount of water (all I had left) and this melted the heat exchanger off my titanium jetboil and was firmly told "your fault" by jet boil.

Haven't lots of people had that issue with the Ti ones though?
 FreshSlate 29 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: I have a black diamond storm, might upgrade for the 50% extra power! Looks great.
 Tom F Harding 29 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

The new jetboil seems very bulky for what your getting, I cant see it will be any lighter then an MSR reactor and the pot looks about the same size. If your desperate for an upside down cylinder you can buy a small compact fold-up adapter as an add on.

I.e Brunton Canister Stove Stand

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/750-500-ffffff/opplanet-brunton-stove-stand...

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1213394522_...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...