UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Kalymnos - Off The Beaten Track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 May 2016
40 scooters under Arhi, 5 kbAs the season starts to get into full swing, Chris Craggs picks a few of his favourite spot on Kalymnos for escaping the crowds.

Read more
 jon 09 May 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Well they won't be quiet for long, Chris. Not now...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2016
In reply to jon:

I think the place is pretty busy at the moment after a very slow start to the season - I guess the article might help spread the masses out just a little bit,

Chris
astley007 09 May 2016

Nice one Chris,
Nice article..but you have kept the best secret....oops!!!
The new secret crag thats the best ever in the world and comes into condition in October..and is somewhere round the back of Pothia..and everyone needs to help each other go find it.
Think the crag is called "sex,lies...and you tube clips"...and should (hopefully) keep them looking whilst I'm there.
Cheers
Nick B
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2016
In reply to astley007:

> Nice one Chris,

> Nice article..but you have kept the best secret....oops!!!

> The new secret crag thats the best ever in the world and comes into condition in October..and is somewhere round the back of Pothia..and everyone needs to help each other go find it.

> Think the crag is called "sex,lies...and you tube clips"...and should (hopefully) keep them looking whilst I'm there.

> Cheers

> Nick B

I have been keeping that one to myself - don't want it getting too popular

Chris
 tjekel 10 May 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

@Chris - ever looked when the sun comes round at sea breeze? not a good idea in the hotter months ...

and yes there's still some more sectors to be found beyond the list that are quiet;_) and will stay that way till another list gets out.
Does anyone know how much of the Rockfax Kalymnos app which costs £14.99 is contributed towards the local Kalymnos bolt fund?
Post edited at 13:13
In reply to Christheclimber:

> Does anyone know how much of the Rockfax Kalymnos app which costs £14.99 is contributed towards the local Kalymnos bolt fund?

Hi Chris

The bolting situation on Kalymnos has become somewhat confused and there is no single 'bolt fund'. There has also been a very large 'donation' recently from the EU which is being channeled towards bolting on the island.

In view of this, Steve Golley, who runs The Send App for Kalymnos, got in touch and we discussed a way that the two UK-based App guides could assist best on the island. Our current plan is to pool our resources and make joint contributions to the Island Rescue Team (who also do some bolting).

At the moment we haven't actually generated any income since Apple payments are on two month delays. Once we have received some decent sales, we will make a donation - this is likely to be after the end of June. The amount depends to a degree on how successful the Rockfax App guide is but it likely to be in the £1 to £3 per app sale region.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the prompt clarification.

Cheers

Chris
astley007 10 May 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Alan,
What a fantastic idea.
Hopefully we will never need them, but they have been called/needed quiet a few times.
Anything that helps speed up/or makes a casuality more comfortable during evacuation is a positive.
Cheers
Nick B
 stp 10 May 2016

Had no idea how crowded it can get. Sounds like a complete nightmare.

It's funny how some places become so in vogue at certain times. Sounds like the best thing is to completely avoid the place for now, certainly in May and October, and go somewhere less fashionable, where the climbing will still be amazing. Kalymnos won't be a hot spot forever and when its popularity wains will probably be the best time to visit the place.
 is2 11 May 2016
Wow that is expensive.... 3x price of the send app, which is excellent and contributes almost all the payment to a fund that bolts and rebolts routes.
 Dave Musgrove 11 May 2016

You must have been lucky each time you went to Sea Breeze, Chris. Its always been busy when I've been there (though usually that is in peak-season October). I don't think you mentioned ET (Metochi Pyramid) in your write up either, that's often a good option to get away from the crowds, particularly the newer section, Koukouvas, off to the left. Great long pitches but you need to be climbing in the 6a-6c ball-park to get the best out of it.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 May 2016
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

> You must have been lucky each time you went to Sea Breeze, Chris. Its always been busy when I've been there (though usually that is in peak-season October). I don't think you mentioned ET (Metochi Pyramid) in your write up either, that's often a good option to get away from the crowds, particularly the newer section, Koukouvas, off to the left. Great long pitches but you need to be climbing in the 6a-6c ball-park to get the best out of it.

Good call - yes I forgot ET. Also if you really want a crag to yourself there is always Rocklands,

Chris
 nutme 11 May 2016
In reply to is2:

Ans send app works on Android phones. It's very strange pricing for Rockfax indeed.

Hi Chris,
I wish Eros was quiet, it was pretty busy last October with plenty of queues for routes. As Dave M has suggested ET by comparison is usually quiet maybe due to the walk in.
Cheers
Chris
 planetmarshall 11 May 2016
In reply to stp:

> Had no idea how crowded it can get. Sounds like a complete nightmare.

I was there in October 2015, first time sport climbing. Never queued for a single route - don't know what the fuss is about.

Sometimes I wonder if the only things Brits love more than queuing is complaining about it.
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I was there in October 2015, first time sport climbing. Never queued for a single route - don't know what the fuss is about.

> Sometimes I wonder if the only things Brits love more than queuing is complaining about it.

I think you may have been lucky.Where did you climb.? I was there last October and some of the crags were very busy.
 planetmarshall 12 May 2016

> I think you may have been lucky.Where did you climb.? I was there last October and some of the crags were very busy.

Arginonta, Garakios, Telemnos, Grande Grotta... if I was lucky I was lucky on a fairly regular basis.
 TomGB 12 May 2016

I've been the last two years in October and never queued. It's pretty busy but there's always free routes at human grades even at the popular crags. However, some of the quieter crags mentioned are very nice, I've had great days at sea breeze, telendos NF...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...