Cheap cookset from Lidl?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 17 Aug 2004
Carrie Bolton 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Or an off-roader.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040816.index

I knew that Lidl was pretty cheap, but that £2.49 for a car is pretty good.
randombob1 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Carrie Bolton: The small print on the cookset reads "Made of tissue paper, buyer uses at own risk"
colski 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Chris Tan:

I must be a real snob, as I wouldn't set foot inside a Lidl.
OP Anonymous 17 Aug 2004
In reply to colski: Or an arse...
colski 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

You obviously shop there, it seems the BSE has taken hold from the "quality" meat products they sell.
 TN 18 Aug 2004
In reply to colski:

Well, I'm a self confessed snob but I went to Lidl for the first time a few weeks ago and they have some superb pizzas! Really cheap and ever so nice! And some of the gizmos and gadgets they sell are ace!
Carrie Bolton 18 Aug 2004
In reply to TN:

No, no. You can tell a Real Snob a mile away. They are the ones that you do see in Lidl, negotiating their way through the isles picking out the parmesan, pesto, re-bake chiabattas (and the choritzio, obviously.) But avoiding the cereal because it is not Kelloggs. Well, I can tell them two things, they are right about the Pesto and choritzio, but wrong about how good the cereal is.

Seriously, anyone who has avoided a Lidl just because it looks like it should be a cheap and nasty shop, just try it. And try most things in the shop. The chocolate "sandwich biscuits" for example are actually Lyons Superb (or whatever they are, sometimes they run out of the Lidl special outers and just have to pack them in Lyons packaging) which cost £1.90 a packet in Tescos. They are something like 76p in Lidl. The parmesan is as good as you get in any supermarket in the UK and exaclty half the price that it is in Sainsburys. The reason that the place is cheap is not that the stuff is crap, its that they sell so much of it accross Europe that suppliers struggle to keep pace.

Some of the stuff on the side (clothes etc) is pretty crap. But some of the saucepans are superb. That stuff you do have to be a bit discerning.
 TN 18 Aug 2004
In reply to Carrie Bolton:

And the pizzas, don't forget the pizzas.....
hang 'em high 18 Aug 2004
In reply to TN:

and the cornichons, the chicken cordon-bleus, the washing powder, the tuna-salad in a can jobbies, the camembert (only 95p!)....

Its a smashing place to shop. Only be sure to avoid the fresh fruit and vegetables, and probably the fresh meat too. I find you need to go to asda to supplement.

Almost as good as a car boot sale (dont get me started)
OP Anonymous 18 Aug 2004
In reply to hang 'em high:
>
> Almost as good as a car boot sale (dont get me started)

On Aldi and Netto

Chris Tan

TN 18 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

I don't like Netto - or at least the two near where I live don't seem to be very good.
Aren't Aldi the ones that occasionally sell really cheap printers and suchlike??
Carrie Bolton 18 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Don't mention Aldi and Netto in the same breath as Lidl. The point about the other two is that they are cheap. The point about Lidl is that the stuff (appart from the meat) is bloody good. It just happens to be cheap aswell. NB. Fresh fruit and veg fine if you eat it in a day or so, which you always used to have to anyway. Indicates a certain lack of radiation zapping....
OP Anonymous 18 Aug 2004
In reply to TN:

Yup, under their Tevion brand. And pretty cool outdoor gear too!

Chris Tan ( who is hoping to get expedition sponsorship from Aldi, Lidl and Argos)
 sutty 18 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Will that be the lidl Chris Tan Aldi Argos expedition?

Where IS Aldi Argos, in the Panniers?
OP Anonymous 18 Aug 2004
In reply to sutty:

I have plans for a porta-ledge made out of a modified Argos sunlounger

Chris Tan
 critter 18 Aug 2004
In reply to Carrie Bolton:

Aldi have a very good selection of wine, consistently winning medals in the International Wine Tasting Awards.

ISY 19 Aug 2004
Some of their products are brand product but different package like some shampoo are very good brand try to find which one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...