Harry Griffin dies.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jonno 12 Jul 2004
A nice piece by Jim Perrin in the Guardian today about Lake District outdoor institution Harry Griffin who has just died aged 93.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,1258889,00.html
 Doug 12 Jul 2004
In reply to Jonno:
Will read the article later but feel sad at the news. Still remember reading my way through many of his books while in my teens, to today's generation they may seem old fashioned, maybe even plodding but for me some 30 years ago they were an inspiration to get back to the Lakes as often as posible, at first walking later to climb.

Rest in Peace Harry,

Greenbanks 12 Jul 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Sad this - he was one of a group of writers (remember W.A. Poucher) who had me yearning (as a kid) for the hills.

Good innings too, and I bet it was a pleasant one, if his writing is anything to judge by
OP johncoxmysteriously1 12 Jul 2004
In reply to Jonno:

A nice tribute.

Were any of his routes really famous for their fierceness, though? I can't help feeling the editor has garbled JP's piece and that was Basterfield.
 sutty 12 Jul 2004
In reply to johncoxmysteriously1:

I think Harry was more inthe line of Bill Murray, not quite at the top but such a good descriptor, much more than a writer.
Pete Etheridge 13 Jul 2004
In reply to Jonno:

I read his book The Coniston Tigers a couple of years ago, and marvelled at the courage of these early climbers. I was gripped, and could hardly put the book down from start to finish. Although already in love with the lakeland fells, his writing was a brief escape from day to day life. Rest in peace Harry.
Craig Bolton 13 Jul 2004
In reply to Pete Etheridge:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> I read his book The Coniston Tigers a couple of years ago, and marvelled at the courage of these early climbers. I was gripped, and could hardly put the book down from start to finish. Although already in love with the lakeland fells, his writing was a brief escape from day to day life. Rest in peace Harry.

Like many others I read Harry's books after visiting the lake district as a youngster. His recollections were amazing - the cairn on Conistan Old Man being buried in snow, the long days walking on the fells. His books are what led me to love and continue to retun to the lakes time and time again. Keep watch on the Lakes Harry, someone needs too....

Jonno 13 Jul 2004
In reply to Pete Etheridge:

'The Coniston Tigers' is something of a classic of its type.
Far removed from the boring,ego driven Himalayan blockbusters and Alpine epics.TCG is just a quiet,gentle account of a climbing 'age of innocence' from a modest climber who nevertheless,packed more into his 93 years than most of us could achieve in several lifetimes.

Greenbanks 13 Jul 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Good spread on Harry in today's Guardian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...