104 yr old Mtn Guide dies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 15 Jun 2004
am tempted to continue " in bed with three beautiful women" but that would be taking a liberty...

'Le Figaro' newspaper in France has reported the death on Monday of Ulrich Inderbinen from the Valais, who died at the age of 104 in Zermatt. He first climbed the Matterhorn in 1921, and his final ascent (his 371st!) was in 1990 on the 125th anniversary of the first ascent of the Matterhorn.

Think Tom Patey once wrote about following "the old guide, he knows best...."

Report, in French:-http://www.lefigaro.fr/perm/afp/gen/040615134201.f5jbggq4.html
 David Hooper 15 Jun 2004
In reply to Removed User: Met him on the Breithorn in 87. Incredible old geezer, very proud, brown and wrinkled with a waxed 'tach like Salvador Dali. Got some photos of me and my mate with him somewhere - wish I knew how to upload things. He had a great innings didn't he? Proud to have known him briefly. Bet he is up in mountaineers heaven chuckling away and telling stories.
OP midlander(there can be only one) 16 Jun 2004
In reply to David Hooper:
if he was french as your i guess he was, then he will in fact be in heaven unclipping everyone elses ropes, shoving past them in a less than polite manner, and generally pissing off the rest of heavens climbing community .
 Bruce Hooker 16 Jun 2004
In reply to midlander(there can be only one):

Rule brittannia! with a little 'b', eh?
 Doug 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
how many wrong assumptions ?
Swiss guide from Zermatt, almost certainly German speaking

maybe we should be glad (there's only one' ?
OP Anonymous 16 Jun 2004
In reply to midlander(there can be only one): French!? If he lives in Zermatt. He was Swiss you f*ck wit
keith @ work 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to midlander(there can be only one)) French!? If he lives in Zermatt. He was Swiss you f*ck wit

... and Ulrich is such a Gallic name, don't you think?
What a tosser (midlander, not the guide!!)

If I've done & seen 1/100th of what that guy did when it's my time, I'll be happy.
Steven Martin 16 Jun 2004
In reply to keith @ work:
> (In reply to Anonymous)

>
> If I've done & seen 1/100th of what that guy did when it's my time, I'll be happy.

Ah! but what did he do on grit?
David Crooks 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Removed User:

Obituary in English (you may need to register):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&targe...

keith @ work 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Steven Martin:
>
> Ah! but what did he do on grit?

Predictable but always hilarious
 Rubbishy 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Removed User: read his obit in the Indie today. Fascinating guy, still skiing at the age of 97 and climbed the Matterhorn when he was 94.
OP NMM 16 Jun 2004
A true legend, who I would reckon wouldn't be impressed @ being called french as he lived in Zermatt all his life according to the Indie.

NMM
OP Anonymous 17 Jun 2004
In reply to John Rushby:

If his final ascent was in 1990 for the 125th anniversary he would ONLY have been 90. Surely any fool can climb the Matterhorn at 90, he probably only did the easy route anyway...

OP midlander 17 Jun 2004

look i only read the bit about a french newspaper reporting it so i reserve the righ to assume he was french, and therefor slag him
Removed User 17 Jun 2004
In reply to midlander: Would it have made any difference if it had been reported in the British press first then? I think you would agree it wouldn't have made him British.

I think you would also accept that the Valais is not in France, neither is Zermatt. Perhaps it might be an idea if you read all the posting before replying - a technique which does not affect your rights, I hasten to add - then your 'slagging' might indeed be valid and not make you appear ignorant.
 Neil Conway 17 Jun 2004
Removed User 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Neil Conway: No. At least I don't think so...
What was reported in yesterday's 'Independent' reflected on a man who enjoyed life in the mountains but kept his life spartan and uncomplicated:- no bike, no car, no telephone... I enjoyed reading the comments about meeting him on the Breithorn too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...