Midi cable car - the latest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hope its fixed soon 27 May 2004
Does anybody know the latest on the midi cable car, a date for reopen would be great, herd somewhere that they might be doing a combined ticket with the train and the upper section of the lift? going to cham soon.
OP Dan_s@work 27 May 2004
In reply to hope its fixed soon:
> Does anybody know the latest on the midi cable car, a date for reopen would be great, herd somewhere that they might be doing a combined ticket with the train and the upper section of the lift? going to cham soon.

http://ski.chamonix.com/DomAigTarEn.php
robinb 27 May 2004
I heard end of June
 Mick B 27 May 2004
In reply to hope its fixed soon: From what i can gather the general feeling here in Cham is that the end of June may be a bit on the optimistic side.
robinb 27 May 2004
Are they making the tw*t who let the cable go put it back up on his own or something?

Is it only one section of it, and do they have a way around that section?
Simon Wilson 27 May 2004
In reply to robinb:

from experience, whenever their is a major failure of equipment, the cable car companies usually conduct a full overhaul of the system. don't expect a quick repair !!!!
I'm off to cham' next week and have resigned myself to using the montenvers railway or go up from La Palud
OP Anonymous 27 May 2004
can`t you just go to switzerland and climb mountains properly - stop being obsessed with chamonix and cheating!!
Juki 28 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:
> can`t you just go to switzerland and climb mountains properly
Like Breithorn
 Wibble Wibble 28 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Or the Jungfrau...........
OP RichardB 28 May 2004
In reply to Wibble Wibble:

Or the Monch
 Bruce Hooker 28 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

I agree with anonymous (strange name, whatever were your parents thinking?) except going to Switzerland is not absolutely essential.

There seems to be a bit of an obsession with the Midi téléphérique! Plenty of other things to do, or go the longer way round by the Requin.
OP Anonymous 29 May 2004
In reply to Wibble Wibble:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
>
> Or the Jungfrau...........

i was thinking more dent blanche or zinal rothorn or weishorn

Andrew Martin 31 May 2004

Latest info is that they are not expecting to have it fixed before July. Personally, I think it will be nearer September!

There is now new legislation in place for the safety testing of cables. They think that they may now have to comply with this which could take a while!

Top section of the midi is open. One alternative is to go by bus or car to Courmayeur ascend to the Hellbronner and take the gondola across to the top of the midi. This is probably the way that the tour parties will go... likes of Shearings and Wallice Arnold etc. etc. so be prepared to share your cable car with lots of old biddies!

Alternatively, as already mentioned you could take the railway to Montevers, walk the balcon to the midi mid station and just use the top section.

Good luck!

Andrew @ Chamonix
OP proper alpinist 31 May 2004
In reply to hope its fixed soon: Stop cheating, everyone goes to chamonix and cheats their way up mountains coz you're all unfit and FAT, it's disgusting, you should all get fit and stop cheating, it may help you survive longer if you are actually fit enough for the route.

And while we're at it, why everyone thinks the cosmiques arete & petite verte are good intros to alpinism, bollocks are they! Alpinism involves serious effort, do a route involving some effort rather than some shite spur on the aiguille du shite with the shite car up to the summit, try the aiguille d'argentiere normal route for a good proper Alpine intro, easy, proper effort involved and a nice climb
DeadSquirrel 31 May 2004
In reply to proper alpinist:

...To me, the Cosmiques Arete looked like it would involve climbing up a loose pile of shite, just to reach the top and be greeted with a hideous concrete construction seething with masses of tourists - not my idea of fun!

In last summer's conditions, though, the Petit Aiguille Verte was quite "entertaining"! (and had the added advantage that only 2 other people were daft enough to do it on the same day).

p.s. whoever mentioned the Monch, you can do it "properly" - Nollen route.
OP RichardB 01 Jun 2004

>
> p.s. whoever mentioned the Monch, you can do it "properly" - Nollen route.

I did and yes I've done the Nollen.

The point was though that you could get the train to the Jungfraujock and do the SE ridge in an easy couple of hours therefore making it an easy ascent if that's what you want - same as using the telephrique in Cham really.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from doing the MIdi from the valley if you want to.
NickSebMitch 01 Jun 2004
> Does anybody know the latest on the midi cable car, a date for reopen would be great, herd somewhere that they might be doing a combined ticket with the train and the upper section of the lift? going to cham soon.

Check out the Chamonix Guides website at
http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/ETE/index.php
and select
remotees mecanique.
That'll tell you which telephriques are open.
I do not know how often it is updated.
I also understand that a helicopter has taken out the Grand Montets telepherique.

Regards

Nick

Stephen McMullan 10 Jun 2004
It looks like it's opening again on 15th July 2004 according to http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/en/aiguille/aiguille_horaires.htm
OP raym 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Stephen McMullan:
Look at what "JOOLS" said about cheating the MB.
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=80899
OP Anonymous 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Stephen McMullan: mid july at the earliest but thats apparently not looking too optimistic according to this report

http://www.pistehors.com/comments/302_0_1_0_C/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...