More Ring Ouzels at Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 May 2004
Ring Ouzels have successfully nested on the area to the right of Tower Face at Stanage. Please keep away from the area until the signs at the crag have been removed. This actually only really affects the short wall with the routes The Mangler and Crescent on (page 112-113 of Peak Gritstone East). Also, please avoid using the descent route down the back of The Strangler (also indicated on the above pages).

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Mat the Rat 27 May 2004
In reply to UKC News:

You know I think it might be good for the Ouzels to get a bit of hastle. I shall explain. Ring Ouzels migrate north from the continent to nest. Stanage is the furthest south they nest. The Stanage ring Ouzels are therefore the laziest of all ring Ouzels. Surely they should not be encouraged to pass on their lazy genes.

Please note the above is toungue in cheek and The RSPB's militant wing should not firebomb my house
Matthew Croney 01 Jun 2004
In reply to UKC News:
Thanks for that update while I was on holiday last week. The latest nest was built on Crescent on 26th May and the birds should now be incubating eggs, so please continue to avoid the area until 1 July. You may remember that we did "reserve" this area for them back in April but the lazy blighters have only just got round to nesting there!
The other current nest on Chippy Buttress (nr Cowper Stone) is also doing well. Chicks hatched at the weekend and so the signs should be removed by 14 June.
Thanks for your continuing help.
Anonymous 06 Jun 2004
In reply to Mat the Rat:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> You know I think it might be good for the Ouzels to get a bit of hastle
>
>

Would you like a dictionary instead?
Matthew Croney 10 Jun 2004
Unfortunately, the Chippy Buttress/Cowper Stone nest failed last weekend, due almost certainly to predation. The signs have obviously come down now but thanks for trying to help them by avoiding this area.

The Crescent/Tower Face nest is still doing well so please continue to avoid the area.

Thanks
Matthew Croney 30 Jun 2004
Crescent/Tower Face nest success!
Thanks to your co-operation, chicks have now successfully fledged from the Plantation nest. The advice to avoid the area was therefore lifted early (on Monday). They are currently feeding in the bracken beds, so please remember to keep your dogs on a lead. Many thanks to you all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...