Deaths on Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 May 2004
In all the frantic activity on Everest in the last week, news has also come through of the first deaths. In the last 2 days 5 climbers have died - 4 Korean men and a Japanese woman and there is also a Bulgarian climber missing.

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Alan 21 May 2004
In reply to UKC News:

There seems to be a few teams up there searching for Sandy irvine's Camera.

Prehaps the competition to find it has pushed people beyond thier limits ??
 jgoodwin2020 21 May 2004
In reply to Alan:

someones got to ask it.... whats so special about her camera?
Anonymous 21 May 2004
In reply to jgoodwin2020: What! are you for real.
 Clare 21 May 2004
In reply to jgoodwin2020:

really? there was a rumour that Mallory and Irvine got to the top of Everest in the twenties, and that the camera (separated from their bodies, which were found a way apart) might hold vital images of them at the summit.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
Johnny Hall 21 May 2004
In reply to UKC News:

*his* camera.
 DougG 21 May 2004

Mallory and Irvine. Disappeared up there on their summit attempt in the 20s(?). Maybe the pics in the camera will prove/disprove whether they got to the top.

PS - Sandy is a man's name, at least up here it is.
The Voice of Reason 21 May 2004
In reply to DougG: So there are no women called Sandy, as in short for SANDRA in Scotland?
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to DougG:

That camera would be a great find, as it has been said that the cold may have preserved the film. Even if they didnt get to the top, the pictures will be very interesting.

Good luck to all who search and happy climbing.

The Mallory / Irvine Story is a great one and I recommend to anyone to read what they can on it.
satori 21 May 2004

i need to lend you some of my climbing history books dude.
 DougG 21 May 2004
In reply to The Voice of Reason:

Maybe, but most Sandys that I know are Alexanders.
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to The Voice of Reason:

Andrew Irvine, known to family and friends as "Sandy," was two months into his 23rd year when he disappeared on Everest with George Mallory. An engineering student, he was on two month's leave from Merton College, Oxford.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest/lost/mystery/irvine.html
In reply to satori:

funny, poor wee lad . . . anyone read the mallory autobiography?
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to Eskdale massive:

read Messners book, thats worth a read and got a newish one to have a look though. So many other mountaineers seem to reflect on Mallory and his attempts
Alan 21 May 2004
In reply to Clare:
so did they get to the top???

I think so.why:

well,when last seen they were high on the ridge having just gone over a rock step.

This was not the first step.It could not have been the second step,because its a climb,plus they were seen on top of this step /bulge.

If that was the 3rd step,then i see no reason why they would not have got to the top.

Well worth looking into the books written on the subject.

A
 jgoodwin2020 21 May 2004
In reply to UKC News:

lol - theres me thinking its just some random persons camera that they lost last week and all the jolly nice chaps at base camp decided to go for a plod up the mountain to help them looking for it..... oh well, its only a camera
 Dominion 21 May 2004
In reply to john H:

That's The Second Death of Geoge Mallory isn't it?

I think in one of Messner's other books he comes to the conclusion that even if Mallory and Irvine had reached the summit it would have been too dark to take photos anyway...

But obviously, it would be interesting from other potential photographs it may contain...
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to Dominion:

Yes, Id be eager to see them if they find anything.

In some ways it doesnt matter if they did or not, just the spirit etc is interesting. They didnt make it home again.

Think is Second Death.
In reply to Dominion:

the one I read was "The Wildest Dream" by the Gillmans, very good book
john H 21 May 2004

this is stiring my interest again, might have to pop to waterstones.

Maybe its one of those things that will lose its interest and magic when the full story is know.
In reply to john H:

delves well into the "homoerotic" scene that was going on at Ox-Bridge at the time, something I think his family weren't that happy discussing
john H 21 May 2004

Oh dear!! lol
AJM 21 May 2004
In reply to Clare:

I didnt fully read everyone's responses yet, but isn't the point that Irvine hasn't been found? Trying to find a lone camera on something the size of Everest would be futile, last I heard (I've not been following too closely, I'll grant you, I might be wrong) nobody had tracked down Irvine, and they are still looking for his body, which presumably will have his camera on it somewhere, since Mallory didn't have it.

AJM
Alan 21 May 2004
In reply to AJM:

According to reports the location of his body IS known.
 tony 21 May 2004
In reply to Alan:

and Mallory's body has been found, so it's quite possible that Irvine's body could also be found.
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to tony:

They know pretty well where they were last seen, and can attempt to trace where Irvine may be.

I hope he does turn up one day
michaelw 21 May 2004
In reply to UKC News:
went to the exhibition in Rheged last weekend, as it was free for residents (plus 1 film - didn't realise how realistic Imax was till then - we all ducked from the avalanches!)
pitiful seeing Mallory's boot on display. My son thought the severed frostbitten toes on display the best exhibit
Alan 21 May 2004
In reply to michaelw:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> went to the exhibition in Rheged last weekend,

Where is that? Is it in the UK?

A
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to Alan:

Ill be keeping my eye on what happens. Hope its a Brit who finds him and that they take proper care and give respect to a major figure in British Mountaineering.
john H 21 May 2004
In reply to Alan:

Near Penrith. Worth a Look!!

on WWW
Norrie Muir 21 May 2004
lol - theres me thinking its just some random persons camera that they lost last week and all the jolly nice chaps at base camp decided to go for a plod up the mountain to help them looking for it..... oh well, its only a camera

Dear the

Don't worry you have a good reason not to know because of your age, you are excussed.

Some sherpa probibily nicked up and over the hill to get the camera to flog it and kept quite about getting to the top. It was more valuable than getting to the top.

Norrie
MS 22 May 2004
In reply to john H:

I agree - when / if Irvine's body is found it should be treated with respect, and not in the manner that Mallory's body was prodded about when that was found. I do hope, however that it isn't discovered (and also that no-one else is killed trying to find it), as it would attract way too much *negative* attention. The fact is those guys were incredible pioneers, and you can never take that away from them using photographs, whatever they may show.

Escher 23 May 2004
In reply to UKC News: I met some of the Korean team on Island Peak in March whilst they were preparing for their climb on the North side of Everest. I am very sorry to hear of the deaths of four of them and I must pass on my condolences to their families and the rest of the team.

I am very sorry to say they looked like they had little mountaineering experience when I saw some of them climb on Island Peak and I feared for their safety while they were to be on Everest. Unfortunately my worst fears were realised. Very sad news.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...