Pass of Ballater (Scotland)- rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alan Thompson 11 May 2004
The crevasse under Silent Spring slab has collapsed leaving substantial debris underneath the cliff (the largest boulder is about 4M by 3M by 2M). It appears as if it occurred last night.

Also still lots of evidence of very recent " boulder trundling" at the bottom of the Western Tier. Some of the belay boulders at the top of " Jumbled Blocks Crack " have been dislodged from their stable, almost flat, perch and are now on the approach path. Several trees have broken branches and the rock is badly scarred.

I noticed similar man made damage on the crag last year.
OP Anonymous 12 May 2004
In reply to Alan Thompson:

What's this all about are you saying someone is vandalising the crag by trundling 4mx3mx2m boulders....?
 Stuart S 12 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Not quite. What I've heard is that the underside of the crevase feature below the Medium Cool slab has fallen away, landing as said large boulder on the track below.

Apart from this, the original poster seems to be reporting evidence of trundling of other boulders around the crag.

Hope to go for a look to see for myself at the weekend.
el bob 12 May 2004
In reply to Stuart S: The Medium Cool boulder is enormous and its' descent to the bottom of the crag appears to be totally natural. It looks as though it has been sat on a sloping ledge for years and has eventually slid off. Not sure what triggered the event, but I doubt it was human.

If you're going to have a look, then beware that the ground below Medium Cool is still a bit unstable.
 Lewis climber 12 May 2004
In reply to el bob: Does that mean that Medium Cool and Silent Spring are now unclimbable by the normal starts?
SornaBob 12 May 2004
In reply to Lewis climber:
Wonder if the whole slab will go....
el bob 12 May 2004
In reply to Lewis climber: The start to Medium Cool and Silent Spring was to stand onto the outside block of the crevasse and then step across onto the slab. This is physically no longer possible as the block is down on the track below. The routes will still be possible by pulling right out of what is now a small corner to gain the slab( either that or an energetic pull over the overhang to grab the small tree on the slab above !). The ground still looks a bit unstable so budding first ascensionists may want to wait a few weeks for it to stabilise.
OP Alastair Robertson 12 May 2004
In reply to el bob: Is that the area to the right of Lucky Strike etc.? Are those climbs still climbable? What about Pretzl Logic etc or is it even further right of them?

Cheers, Alastair
el bob 13 May 2004
In reply to Alastair Robertson: It's quite a long way right of Lucky Strike and Pretzel Logic, so none of those routes affected. Medium Cool and Silent Spring will still be climbable too, just with a new start.
apache 14 May 2004
In reply to el bob: will there be an increase in grade?
JC-Boy 14 May 2004
In reply to apache:

Go and find out for yourself

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...