Shieldaig Hydro scheme blocked !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graham B 16 Mar 2004
Aploogies if there's a thread already running about this, but I couldn't see one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3515866.stm

Congratulations to all those who wrote in (quite a few from here I'd have thought). - give yourself a big slap on the back. I wonder whether it will now die a death or if it will carry on bubbling away under the surface.

mav 16 Mar 2004
In reply to Graham B:

yee haa. Thanks for pointing it out. I'd missed it. You made my day.
woody 16 Mar 2004
In reply to Graham B:

am surprised there were only 800 of us who objected, thought there would be much more.

still, it's a win - and hopefully the quote given kills the idea for the future:

"In this instance the potential impact of this scheme, now and in the future, on an area of national and international significance is simply too high and outweighs the potential benefits."

wadey 17 Mar 2004
In reply to Graham B: Its good news unless you make water turbines for a living ! What would you prefer wind turbines or more fossil fuel power stations?
Iain Forrest 17 Mar 2004
Reckon nuclear's the way to go until such a time as we actually have a viable 'green' energy source that doesn't destroy our countryside or switch off every time the wind stops. Shame we seem to be phasing those out.
OP Fat Bumbly 17 Mar 2004
In reply to wadey: Well the energy from sheildaig is surplus.

And I can easily live with the two wind turbines that are required to replace it. You can have my back yard, except its too small and not windy enough.

The folk who make their living partly off the fishing locally (funny how the fishing got ignored) will be pretty chuffed. The HLP scheme was hardly a big job creator outwith construction.

They dont make water turbines in Wester Ross.

Meanwhile the existing, useful,Hydro infrastructure must be aging now. When will there be a big refurbishment of the major 1930-60 schemes?
 DougG 17 Mar 2004
In reply to Graham B:
> Aploogies if there's a thread already running about this, but I couldn't see one.

Started one last night but it got nowhere!

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=78026&v=1#1040723

Good news though, eh?
 Simon Caldwell 17 Mar 2004
In reply to wadey:
> What would you prefer wind turbines or more fossil fuel power

I don't care, so long as they put them somewhere unimportant, such as Surrey or Scunthorpe.
Jo Macleod 17 Mar 2004
In reply to Graham B:

Yes its fantastic news. Our cottage is 10 minutes from the landscape they threatened to destroy so we are absolutely delighted.
Removed User 17 Mar 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to wadey)
> [...]
>
> I don't care, so long as they put them somewhere unimportant, such as Surrey or Scunthorpe.

Or Belgium.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...