Lightweight poster framing ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2023

Hi,

We've had a photo collage turned into a poster, but looking for a way of protecting/hanging it in a "minimum possible visible frame" way. Poster is 91x61cm landscape.

It's going in the kitchen on the side of an island, so needs to be protected from dirt and spills, so the standard clip frame style isn't ideal, as would leak if someone spilt a drink on the unit.

It also needs to be able to attach with sticky pads (Command type strips or self-adhesive Velcro), as I don't want to drill holes in the unit.

Any suggestions, please? Yes, laminating it has occurred to me, but not sure about the size.

Andy DB 08 Jun 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Assuming you haven't already printed it could you get it printed on a foam board like this https://www.instantprint.co.uk/foam-signs?ppc_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjw-I...

OP LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Andy DB:

Looks good, but my wife's already had it printed and now I've got to find a way of hanging it.

jkarran 08 Jun 2023

Perhaps wrap a slightly smaller backing board in the poster hiding the board edges and giving the poster structure. Tape the poster edges to the back and or spray glue it on. Clearcoat the lot with polyurethane so it's wipe clean, splash and UV protected. The clearcoat might wrinkle the paper if it's not glued flat and you'd want to test lacquer/solvent compatibility with the printing on a hidden corner unless you're feeling lucky.

Or use a film. Book backing film would work but you'd get a seam and it's not very tough. Window laminating film (safety film) would come in big enough sheets for no seam. Applying films without making a mess would take some care.

Edit: you could also ask the printer for suggestions, they'll know their materials.

jk

Post edited at 17:07
OP LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2023
In reply to jkarran:

> Edit: you could also ask the printer for suggestions, they'll know their materials.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm probably after a solution that doesn't involve sticking anything to the actual poster.

Ridiculously, the printer (national chain one) doesn't do a mount for this size, but I could ask them again for suggestions.

Bottom Clinger 08 Jun 2023

I think your asking for something that doesn’t exist. I’d go for a lightweight frame.  

NathanP 08 Jun 2023

If an otherwise suitable click frame is available and the only concern is the risk of liquid spillage from above, could you just run a bead of silicon sealant along the top?

Fraser 11 Jun 2023

I think a clip frame is still the way to go. But I'd add some white insulating tape round the edges to seal them before pushing the clips into place. You could then perhaps use mirror hanging clips to mount it to the side of the island unit. 

Blue Straggler 11 Jun 2023

Keeping an eye on this as there seem to be sizes beyond which there are no cheapo off the shelf solutions and I think your 90+ cm dimension falls into this category. 

I have a huge original French poster for the Wim Wenders film Until the End of the World and although it doesn't warrant £200+ of bespoke frame and mount, I think I will end up taking to my local framer and seeing if he can sort out basically putting it between glass and a backboard either as a fancy clip frame or with cheap plastic frame. 

OP LastBoyScout 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, that thought had occurred to me, too. There's an independent glass chap I used to repair a mirror a while ago - sort of chap with a shop full of sheets of glass and stuff who will be able to do "something", I expect.

Years ago, I cropped a poster down on 2 sides to fit in a frame, which actually slightly improved the centering. That may still be a possibility, but in this case the frame would really need to be the same aspect ratio as the poster and I'd need to trim all 4 sides, or it'll look funny.

Fraser 12 Jun 2023

Are you wanting it to be an edge-to-edge image or could you use a custom mount to make up the difference between the print ratio and the frame ratio?

https://www.easyframe.co.uk/photo-mount-colours?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJu...

Edit: just re-read your "minimum possible visible frame" so I guess it's the former option you're going for!

Post edited at 16:24
 Blue Straggler 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks for this, exactly what I need for a load of stuff I am framing! Have you used this company, are they a recommendation or just a Google hit? (I am sure they are good, either way, just wondering really)

Slackboot 12 Jun 2023

Get someone who is practised ( your local framer) to stick the poster down onto Self - Adhesive board. It comes in two types. Removable, and Extra Tack. They will stick it to  the Removable type which allows for adjustments if you line it up wrong.

You could attach it to the 'island' then...except you said you want it protected against spills ....so..perhaps either a spray varnish which will coat it with a wipeable surface or cover it with a sheet of Styrene ( a thin type of perspex Framers use). It is thinner than picture framing glass. This could be screwed to the surface to hold it in place.Glass at the size you describe will be heavy and easily broken if it is going low down on the kitchen island.

Post edited at 19:55
 Fraser 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Thanks for this, exactly what I need for a load of stuff I am framing! Have you used this company, are they a recommendation or just a Google hit? (I am sure they are good, either way, just wondering really)

Sorry, I've not used them, I only found it on Google.

Blue Straggler 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks, no probs, I will check it out and also do a bit of Google.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...