Chamonix Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello

I'm off to Chamonix on 2 July. I need a campsite for about 10 days. I'm in a small campervan. Any recommendations??

Never been to France before, can't speak French, never driven a right hand drive vehicle abroad either. I'm very nervous tbh. And I'm stressing about finding a campsite.

Cheers

Rob

Alan.T 04 Jun 2023
In reply to TreeclimbingRob:

Mer de Glacé campsite is good with everything you need, It's on the other side of town (when arriving from west). Its about a 20/30 min walk in to town but they do give you a free bus pass. I think you should be ok to turn up without reservation (its pretty empty at the moment) but it does fill in the height of summer especially on weekends. 

Alternatives are in Les Bossons on East Side of town or in Argentiere but I think mer de glacé is best option.

They all generally speak good English so that shouldn't be an issue.

Camping de la Mer de Glace
+33 4 50 53 44 03
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DaARYREdiWjZYJbf7

mcawle 04 Jun 2023

The camping in Argentiere is great, very welcoming, lots of British and other internationals coming through all the time, clean and well run. 

Camping du Glacier D'Argentiere https://g.co/kgs/C8tcqK

I have no affiliation but I’ve been through a few times for a couple weeks or more and would happily go again.

In reply to Alan.T:

Thank you I'll check it out. Guess it the fear of the unknown. I've not travelled for 20 years.

In reply to mcawle:

Thank you. The guide company recommended that one. Though they've not been particularly helpful

Luke90 04 Jun 2023

You'll soon get used to driving RHD on the right. It's only really a significant disadvantage on tight winding roads, which you shouldn't encounter much.

tehmarks 04 Jun 2023
In reply to mcawle:

I can second that - I've stayed there every time I've stayed in Chamonix, and the place and owners are awesome. Very laid-back, and can also be counted on to have a lot of climbers staying. Very easy to find partners there as well.

mcawle 05 Jun 2023

Who hasn't been particularly helpful - the guide company, or the campsite?

Helpful in regards to...?

Mark Haward 06 Jun 2023

Lots of campsite options so no need to worry there . I would also recommend the Chosalets / Argentiere campsite. Very friendly and laid back.

Unless you are in a city I have always found driving in France much easier than the UK. Just ensure you have the right kit with you for driving in France.

I suggest learning a few key useful French phrases so anyone you meet can hear you have made an effort. Enjoy

In reply to mcawle:

The guiding company could have been more helpful I thought. 

Maybe I'm expecting too much. This is my first trip to the Alps so I'm a bit nervous. 

Not sure whether to book the camping or just turn up 

stubbed 07 Jun 2023

Driving on the right isn't much different to driving on the left. You'll get used to that immediately especially if you have a right hand drive vehicle. France is a great country & you'll feel really at home there, & don't worry about speaking French, you'll be able to muddle through even if they don't speak English. I would book the campsite if possible as I think you'll be more relaxed to know it's sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...