Hiking in shorts - how to keep warm and dry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Number18 16 May 2023

I know I know, ‘don’t wear shorts, wear trousers’ might be the obvious suggestion…

I always hike in shorts, even when it is below 0 degrees, otherwise I just get too warm when I’m on the move.

However, I have the following 2 hurdles to overcome:

1. When it rains, the water runs in to my socks.  I use Sealskinz waterproof socks, but eventually they give in.  If I was wearing trousers over my socks, plus maybe gaiters then I guess this problem would as a minimum be delayed, or even overcome altogether, but I’d be too warm.  Do I just have to decide which trade-off I least dislike?  Or is there a better way?

2. When on a multi-day hike, particularly in a morning when emerging from my sleeping bag / tent, I admit sometimes in shorts my legs are cold while having breakfast and packing up, but warm after 10mins of getting going again.  Maybe cycling leg warmers would help, or trousers that convert easily to shorts.

I realise there are lots of solutions out there, I was wondering how others had dealt with the same quandary.

J72 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

I find there is a window one weekend in May when the temperature is warm enough for shorts but the midge are yet to arise from slumber.  Other than that it’s lightweight trousers all year (heavier weight in winter obviously).

To keep your socks dry could you cut the narrow part off a funnel and then use silicone or rubber to create a plug, push your leg in and use it to direct water running down you leg to the outside or wear your shoe width stops…or wear trousers…?

Lankyman 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

One word - Ronhills

PaulJepson 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

Umbrella. 

redscotti 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

1. I'm usually wearing non-waterproof trail runners on multiday hikes so any  water that enters escapes easily.

2. I wear wind or lightweight rain pants over shorts on those cold mornings. 

Post edited at 13:21
 Neil Williams 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

I'm similarly an all weather shorts wearer.  My thoughts:

1. I'd love a pair of neoprene gaiters that would fit above my socks and to my boots.  These do exist as "runner's gaiters" and similar but mostly in very small sizes that would clip to a running shoe but not a full sized boot.  If anyone was to make them I'd buy some!  The other option is to switch to walking in fell/trail running shoes and accept wet feet as they are designed for it.  I've also heard suggestions of waterproof socks but not tried them.  Normal walking gaiters I reckon aren't tight enough and would chafe.

2. Carry a slightly oversized (say one size up, so if you're L then XL or whatever, cut the legs off if they're too long) pair of tracky bottoms and pull them over the top of your shorts when you first get up, or just heavily layer up your top half.  Take them off when you set off, or after you've warmed up.  I'm not really a fan of converting shorts/trousers as they're just a faff.

Post edited at 13:46
 LastBoyScout 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

Breeches and gaiters, obviously

My preferred walking trousers have a zip from hem to knee, so I can use that if my legs are getting warm - press stud at the hem stops them flapping about. Obviously doesn't work with gaiters on.

Cycling leg warmers might be an option, but would probably fall down a lot, as they sort of rely on being held up by cycling shorts, even if they do have their own silicone grippers. Calf guards, mainly worn by runners, might help - they provide compression rather than warmth, but could take the edge off a chilly morning. Both these would involve taking your boots off to get them off, though.

You could try something like scree gaiters to protect your socks a bit - you'd need to make sure of a good fit around your ankle, but it's probably only delaying the inevitable.

profitofdoom 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

2 solutions:

(1) indoor hiking

(2) only hike in the Atacama Desert, Chile; or The Empty Quarter, Saudi Arabia 

J72 16 May 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

There’s got to me some mileage in (1)? 

Centres in industrial estates filled with treadmills? 

Jenny C 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

Tight fitting scree gators help. Personally I went for non-waterproof as they are more breathable.

Mine are Rab and just required a little customisation of the lace hook in order to fit to chunkier boot laces. Do wish though I'd gone with a zipped design that can be fitted without having to remove the footwear.

ripper 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

slather the legs with embrocation for warmth, then vaseline for a DWR beading effect?

Gaffer tape the tops of your socks to your legs?

Prof. Outdoors 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

Walking - I also am a shorts and trainers on the hill person but so long as I am warm and comfortable I am fine with wet feet.

Winter biking - feet get much colder if wet so I wear waterproof cycling shoes. Problem is that the water runs down my leg and therefore into the shoes negating the waterproof shoes.

Warning - you will not win prizes for sartorial elegance. My solution SCUBA DIVING DRY SUIT CONE SHAPE ANKLE SEAL KIT available on auction sites. Hillcrest diving.

These are pulled on before the socks making a good seal against my leg. Wide cone goes over the shoes and therefore water does not run into the shoes. Obviously not tight like a gaiter on the shoe. Seal may not come far enough up the leg for boots and long socks but I wear Innov8s on the hill.

In minging weather I wear a pair of RAF "goretex" trousers cut off below the knee. Keeps my knees warm but lower leg can breathe. This is not a look I can recommend but it does work.

Not pretty and you may find your friends no longer walk with you. At least that's my excuse for being Billy no Mates.

Post edited at 18:28
In reply to Number18:

Prosthetic legs. 

Bottom Clinger 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

I’m also a shorts person. I wear lederhosen which are just about long enough to hang over the outside of the fishing waders that I also wear. 

AdrianC 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

The Kiwi way is polypros under your shorts.  Works a treat!

MG 16 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

Wool loop stitch socks. Wool is warm when wet.

Post edited at 21:39
 AgentOrange76 17 May 2023
In reply to J72:

Peleton or Zwift for hiking....coupled with VR headsets, never need to leave home.

mcawle 17 May 2023
In reply to AdrianC:

Beat me to it.

And regular gaiters on over boots and polyprops (aka long johns aka thermals).

Will dry quick after getting rained or worst case will fit pretty easily under overtrousers.

Dr.S at work 17 May 2023
In reply to Number18:

You can get insulated over shorts targeted at ski folk, eg:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/fja33/fjällräven-down-shorts-...

and trousers of course - good for camp and stops.

for girls there are similar insulated skirts. In a fit of drunkenness I’ve bought materials to make an insulated kilt - not quite got around to making it yet though!

wbo2 17 May 2023
In reply to Number18: Waterproof overtrousers will do both for you.

Lankyman 17 May 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> In a fit of drunkenness I’ve bought materials to make an insulated kilt

It can be windy round the Trossachs

Post edited at 20:49
 nufkin 18 May 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

>  make an insulated kilt

I've occasionally mused that a belay skirt might have a place on winter routes. Could be equally good for breakfast-in-shorts camping mornings

Dr.S at work 18 May 2023
In reply to nufkin:

Yes - avoids crampon snagging, quick to pop on, use some hexes as a sporran - what’s not to like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...