spray foam insulation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 13 May 2023

Anyone have any idea how long it might take for polyurethane spray foam insulation to become dry to the touch if the components failed to mix correctly and it there is now a sticky mess coating the ceiling?

This is the stuff I used: https://www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk/froth-pak-600-spray-foam-kit.html?___s...

Mostly in went on fine and dried up promptly but there are a couple of areas that didn't work.... I still have a little left over, will spraying another layer solve the problem? Or just result it that falling off the goop?

Any ideas what solvent you might want to use to clean up where the goop has dripped on things?

Moacs 13 May 2023
In reply to henwardian:

Isocyanate, so suggest acetone for cleaning.  Care though because acetone will melt a lot of plastics.  May be better to allow to dry and then scrape.  Data sheet says fully cured in 5' so if it's still tacky now, it won't cure.

OP henwardian 13 May 2023
In reply to Moacs:

> Isocyanate, so suggest acetone for cleaning.  Care though because acetone will melt a lot of plastics.  May be better to allow to dry and then scrape.  Data sheet says fully cured in 5' so if it's still tacky now, it won't cure.

Yeah, it all went on yesterday and the 80-90% that worked was dry in something like that time. But I'm kind of assuming that the stuff that's still tacky and sticky will sort of dry out on it's own eventually, rather than curing... But anticlimb paint is also sticky and designed to take... years? decades? to dry out, so, ho hum :I

Thanks for the acetone suggestion, I'll see if I can get a bulk container from amazon. I'll be careful of plastic things but I would think that the kind of very hard plastics that are used for big appliances are probably not susceptible to dissolution in the same way as PE food wrappings and stuff.

artif 13 May 2023
In reply to henwardian:

> I'll be careful of plastic things but I would think that the kind of very hard plastics that are used for big appliances are probably not susceptible to dissolution in the same way as PE food wrappings and stuff.

Don't bet on it, certain plastics are OK, but some hard plastics are very badly affected

oldie 14 May 2023
In reply to artif:

There are tables of chemical resistance for various plastics on the internet. Polypropylene and polythene are often resistant and hence hard to glue. Solvent bonding is actually used to join PVC drainpipes. I don't think polyurethane foams are particularly resistant. Sporadic facts on my part and no expert.

Ridge 14 May 2023
In reply to artif:

> Don't bet on it, certain plastics are OK, but some hard plastics are very badly affected

^ This. Acetone is pretty aggressive stuff.

CantClimbTom 14 May 2023
In reply to henwardian:

If you sprayed in the loft for insulation, your house might be considered (by the insane rules of insurance and mortgage) as having a building defect. Get rid of the stuff or hide it from mortgages and surveys forever more. Acetone, pay someone if you have to, but get rid of it from any loft spaces. https://www.mortgageable.co.uk/mortgages/spray-foam-insulation-mortgage-pro...

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/spray-foam-insulation-and-mortgages/

Sorry 

Post edited at 10:24
OP henwardian 14 May 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> If you sprayed in the loft for insulation, your house might be considered (by the insane rules of insurance and mortgage) as having a building defect.

Thanks but it's essentially a glorified garden shed, just there for washing machines, tools and a climbing wall (if I ever find the time to build one).

artif 14 May 2023
In reply to Ridge:

Back in my boat building days we used to wash with it, thankfully my hands and arms aren't made of plastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...