Other Waffle Fleece Hoodies (Alpkit Griffon ME Eclipse etc)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Bevan 09 May 2023

I've developed a fetish for waffle fleece hooded jackets midlayer type things. It started with the Alpkit Griffon (x5) and now I've expanded my collection to include an ME Eclipse, a RAB Nexus and most recently a Mammut Aenergy Light.

I wear them all the time and now looking to find other brands to collect as some of my first Griffons are showing their age. 

Anyone know or recommend any others? Must be full zip, with/without a hood, long sleeve.

Cheers.

TobyA 09 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

I've had a Griffon for maybe 5 years and have used it a lot. It still looks as new. I have a non hooded Patagonia R1 which must be at least 15 years old now. It has been used a huge amount for climbing and ski touring in that time, but it is still smart enough to wear casually.

Do you really need any more? If you really have 5 Alpkit ones along with the others, how can possibly be getting that much use out of them? You say "fetish" - doesn't that include the idea of the interest being at best irrational and at worst unhealthy? Maybe just enjoy the ones you've got and don't consume more? 

olddirtydoggy 09 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

Trespass do one, I think Air Trap 200 is the tag on them, often pick them up from places like TKmaxx for about 15/20 quid. No doubt Decathalon will do their own version. One big deal with the Trespass is the slightly larger chest pocket to the side of the zip that takes a smart phone. I find my body heat stops the battery from draining fast.

Hate to say it but the Trespasss one is the top I always reach for above the ME Eclipse.

Post edited at 10:01
OP Alex Bevan 09 May 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I wear them all the time (climbing, running, gardening, sleeping (sometimes)) I'm wearing one now, I like having different colours. 2 of my griffons are threadbare and my wife says I don't need two red midlayers, so will be offloading that one.

I don't need more, but I would like to diversify the colours and brands of an item of clothing I get a lot of use out of. 

I say "fetish" as a humourous way of describing my enjoyment/attaction to an item of clothing. I could've just asked people to "list lightweight midlayer waffle fleeces", but I like to jazz things up.

To address your point on not consuming more - I get that. I could not buy more, and if I was just hording for no reason other than for dust gathering I'd agree. However, I do use them, each of them and often. I could buy one at a time and wear until destruction, or I could have a few and rotate it all works out the same in the end.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

thanks for that, a bit of googling seems to bring up the Trespass AT200 Serrat which seems to fit the bill.

Phil79 09 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

I also really like the Griffon, find it just about the right weight for lots of different activities. The only issue I have is the 'wizard' like sleeves, far too big!

OEX do one called Basalt, full zip and hooded, and half zip without hood. I have the non-hooded version, bit heavier material then the griffon and good for winter layering. About £35-40 quid so good value.

Phil79 09 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

And just found a Montane Protium hoody on sportshoe for £40. That looks similar but not seen one in the flesh, so no idea how heavy etc. 

TobyA 09 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

Fair enough. I'd definitely consider a Patagonia one then - both for their hipster credibility and that I'm still wearing my snap-T bought in January 1992 I think it was.

I reviewed this https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/fleece/mountain_hardwear_stratus_r... last year and it has become my most worn jacket since. Great for going cragging in but fine for doing the shopping in also! I haven't looked for some time but MH were selling off loads of stuff dirt cheap on their own UK website earlier this year. So they might be a lot cheaper now.

In reply to Phil79:

Cheers, OEX Basalt & Montane Protium, added to the list.

In reply to TobyA:

thanks for that, nice review, Stratus added to the list.

midgen 09 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

ME Shroud is great. Very warm, breathes well, nice trim fit. Bought one initially then got a second as I wear it constantly. I'm pretty much not seen indoors or out without one, at home, at the crag, at work, in the mountains. A bit spendy but you can pick them up on sale discounted from time to time.

In reply to midgen:

thanks for that.

In reply to Alex Bevan:

Mountain Equipment Lumiko Hoodie.

Stuart 

OP Alex Bevan 10 May 2023
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Awesome, thanks.

Phil79 11 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

Based on discussion above, and as my griffon was looking a bit threadbare, I went and got a myself a OEX Basalt yesterday. £38 quid for the full zip hooded version. First impressions are very good, looks well built, stitching is neat/flat and comfortable, fits well, hood is well proportioned. Zipped pockets and useful zipped chest pocket. I'd say slightly more functionally and better considered than the griffon, if a tad heavier/warmer.

Off to Wales at the weekend so will be giving it a proper test drive.

mishabruml 11 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

I've got an inov8 one I use for running, hillwalking, cycling etc. Its very warm and very light. Half zip though

OP Alex Bevan 11 May 2023
In reply to mishabruml:

never considered that brand, looks like they do a full zip version "Venturelite" that fits the bill, thanks.

https://www.inov-8.com/venturelite-mid-hoodie-full-zip-mens?colours=1181

garethb 12 May 2023
In reply to Alex Bevan:

Montane Allez Hoodie is a brilliant lightweight version. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...