Non-GTX Scrambling Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kaiser 18 Apr 2023

Hello all,

Much loved (and surprisingly hard-wearing) 5-10 Camp 4 boots are on their last legs after 8 years or so.

I bought a pair of TX4 Mid boots - precise and grippy but too hot due to the Goretex which I don't want or need as these are for big (dry) days out in Ogwen only.   

Any suitable replacements that tick these boxes?

- Boots not shoes

- No goretex

- Deep lugs / heel brake

- Grippy sole

a crap climber 18 Apr 2023
In reply to kaiser:

Unfortunately the marketing power of goretex has made this kind of thing hard to come by. You could go for some more traditional style leather boots but you'd probably struggle to find something that's particularly good for scrambling.

The only other thing that comes to mind is some of the Aku 'tactical' boots. There are a few that would probably fit the bill, e.g. these

https://www.aku.it/en/shop/tactical-en/ns-564-spider-ii-beige/

Never used them myself but heard good things from people who have.

Military style boots in general are more commonly available without goretex, but other than Aku I can't think of any I've seen that would be well suited for scrambling.

Post edited at 21:38
In reply to a crap climber:

I would have thought that any good quality leather boot that fits your feet well and has Vibram soles, or equivalent, is highly suitable for scrambling.

OP kaiser 19 Apr 2023

Thanks for the Aku suggestion, I'll check those out

wbo2 19 Apr 2023
In reply to kaiser: Scarpa mescalito mid?  I've used the non boot version, very good i.m.e. although the fit works for me

midgen 19 Apr 2023
In reply to wbo2:

> Scarpa mescalito mid?  I've used the non boot version, very good i.m.e. although the fit works for me

They're GoreTex, so not what OP is after. Good boot though.

wercat 19 Apr 2023

Aku boots over the years (perhaps 12~+years) I have found excellent for scrambling.  They proved good and dependable on big solo days out in the Cuillin including the Inn Pin and Pinnacle Ridge.  They were not "tactical boots" then but I have had to go for the Pilgrim recently as it is the closest match to what I came to expect from Aku, comfort, support and dependability.  Stability on steep ground when carrying a heavy load from such light boots is remarkable

Post edited at 08:58
 CameronDuff14 19 Apr 2023
In reply to kaiser:

I use a pair of Scarpa Ribelle Lights for occasional summer scrambling/easy climbing duty (fab in the Cuillins!) and they work fantastically for that, super grippy and nice and stiff.

They don't have a goretex liner, but as a boot built for the Alps and winter they are still quite warm...

The Scarpa Marmolada Pro also could be worth a look at

Post edited at 09:35
 Denni 19 Apr 2023
In reply to kaiser:

I’m happy in winter (most of the time as I run hot) with goretex boots but like you, I much prefer non GTX boots.

My old Scarpa El Cap gave in a few years ago and since then I’ve been using my old military issue Aku Spiders.

Brilliant bit of kit. My feet are nice and cool in summer and I’ve been through torrential rain with them and somehow managed to stay dry.

They’re really lightweight and I find them a good fit, really good grip on rock and they breathe really well.

For comparison, I wear Scarpa 10.5 which fit perfectly and I have size 11 Spiders which fit the same as the Scarpas.

HTH, Den

wbo2 19 Apr 2023
In reply to midgen: Ah rats, missed that as they make a non goretex version of the low mescalito, and also the zen pro without gtx that I thought was a pretty good and tough shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...