Crux RK30 Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Crest Jewel 05 Apr 2023

Crux RK30 Rucksack

I cannot recommend this rucksack. Manufacture, strap design and attachment on outside was defective. Not fit for purpose. Straps on front of rucksack ripped from outside material after light use. Unsuitable for Alpine use. Shoulder straps would unlock from adjusted position with minimal movement. Shoulder straps had to be locked with a knot to prevent this happening. These rucksacks are expensive. Initially I was attracted to their minimalism, waterproof and abrasive resistant material. It's unfortunate that the manufacturing quality was defective.

Post edited at 00:25
 mcawle 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

They generally have a reputation for being pretty bombproof, and they’ve been around for a long time, although I’ve never used one.

Have you raised this with Crux? Maybe there has been a manufacturing issue or something. Good to give them a chance to respond and sort it, especially as a small company.

Damo 08 Apr 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

> It's unfortunate that the manufacturing quality was defective.

I too have found Crux not up to scratch. I have both shell jacket (Flak?) and pants. The pants were a good inch or more shorter in the leg than advertised (the reason I'd bought them). First time I put them on out of the packet the waist buckle clean broke. I contacted Crux but they offered no real solution. The hood on the Flak is too small and tight to fit over a normal climbing helmet. The DWR lasted no time at all and soon wet out in light rain, with water actually getting in through the front zip. These instances were years ago now, and I wasn't surprised to see the slow demise of the brand since then, not helped by extremely high prices, a clunky website and obvious supply and stock issues (long before C19 etc). I think their reputation, particularly on UKC, is largely built on image and repetition of impressions, rather than multiple users' real-life experiences. But I've no doubt many have had decent use out of their packs.

I really wanted to like Crux, because of their design and supposed ethos, but in reality their gear didn't live up to the hype.

bouldery bits 08 Apr 2023
In reply to Damo:

I have to admit, I sort of agree.

I've only had a waterproof smock - which I loved the design and cut of. (I'm a sucker for a good smock!) But... The eVent fabric just didn't work as a waterproof. I reproofed it multiple times but could never get it not wet out? 

Sold it on here. I do hope the person who purchased it has a better experience than I with it. The chunky zip and burly construction was really appreciated, just a shame it didn't really keep the rain out. 

Damo 09 Apr 2023
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I have to admit, I sort of agree.

>The eVent fabric just didn't work as a waterproof.

Yep, and it's not the fault of eVent. I've found it fine in other garments.

I also used a Rab eVent tent in Ladakh last year, got in one of the worst rain/hail storms I've even known. The tent was floating up the pegs like a boat, a river running under me. But the tent didn't leak a drop, anywhere, and no condensation inside, ever. Extremely impressed.

MG 09 Apr 2023
In reply to Damo:

Hmm. Very different to my experience. I've two AK47s that have been superb, and indestructible. (Except for the internal top closure fabric).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...