Cuillin / general Skye conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 foobar123 03 Apr 2023

Hi, I'm hoping to do the Cuillin Ridge this spring with friends. The long-range forecast is looking pretty good for Easter Weekend, so we were thinking that might give us a good chance. However, we're aware it's a bit earlier than most would think of doing a "summer" ascent.

We were wondering what the conditions up there are like at the moment. Is there any snow lying around on the tops? The Scottish winter has apparently not been great this year, so perhaps that means summer conditions on the Cuillin might arrive early enough for us!

midgen 04 Apr 2023
In reply to foobar123:

Snow rarely lingers on the ridge for long, even in winter, pretty sure it's clear apart from the odd patch at the moment. Check the Ground Conditions In UK Mountain Areas Facebook page there's usually an update on there.

Post edited at 07:45
 gw3285 04 Apr 2023
In reply to foobar123:

I went from Sgurr Dearg to Bruach na Frith last Saturday with just one or two patches of soft snow to cross. However some of the descent options I crossed had snow in them, which could be problematic if you need to bail part way across the ridge. The top of An Dorus was clear but I couldn't see far down it in the mist. 

biggianthead 04 Apr 2023
In reply to foobar123:

I've done both of my traverses in April.  The advantage of some snow is you don't run out of water.

Mike-W-99 04 Apr 2023
In reply to foobar123:

Had mulled this over too but looks really windy and not desperately warm.

Bulls Crack 04 Apr 2023
In reply to foobar123:

Adrian Trendall's All thing Cuillin FB site is good for conditions and everything else Cuillin related

OP foobar123 05 Apr 2023

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Looks like the wind will be the main problem, but good visibility so hopefully route finding shouldn't be too hard!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...