Lakes winter advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Birks 10 Mar 2023

Hi, looking for advice on Blea Water Tarn potentially tomorrow. I've not been there before so don't know how reliable it will be from a formation perspective, or should I play it safe and go to Helvellyn/Brown Cove.

Cheers

Luke

OP Birks 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Birks:

Some useful up and down votes which I can only deduce mean the current consensus is 1 vote for blea water and 3 votes for Helvellyn.

As I said, not been to Blea Water before so looking for advice on if its worth the walk in.

Thinking is based on:

- Met office and Mountain forecast both about -3 for Helvellyn and High Street, although Blea Water is lower than Helvellyn by a few hundred metres

- Helvellyn temp probe has been at or below zero for a number of days

- Current forecast is colder than Jan, when there were multiple ascents of Blea Tarn

Exile 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Birks:

I wouldn't think Blea Water was in / in very well - it's not been that cold for that long really. 

OP Birks 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Exile:

Great, thanks for the advice

Luke

leon 1 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Birks: Remember if you're coming from the Windermere/Ambleside side to Helvellyn that the Kirkstone is completely shut from the top down to Brotherswater

https://twitter.com/LakesWeather/status/1631689391126052865?cxt=HHwWgoC83eW...

Post edited at 18:21
In reply to Birks:

As of this morning, Helvellyn turf all frozen, Great End turf all above freezing:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions

DC

wercat 11 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

The snow cover on E F of H was very unimpressive on Wed though walking the ridge from Raise to Dollywaggon was great.

View of H from Loadpot Hill summit this morning did not show much depth of cover.

(in the Eden valley we had about 0.5cm snow for an hour or two of Thu AM before the sun got to it)

Post edited at 16:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...