NEW ROUTE CARD: Sgurr Breac and A' Chailleach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The two westerly peaks of the Fannaichs stand apart from the rest of the range, making them a logical objective as a pair. Offering pleasant ridge walking above craggy corries, these are hills of character, and while they feel quite wild the access is actually pretty easy by local standards.

10.87 miles, 17.50 km, 1,021m ascent, 6 – 7 hours. Ullapool

Read more

Mark Bull 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks for this - I didn't know about the path heading north from Bealach Toll an Lochain. If the burns are full, there is a bridge lower down the Allt Breabaig at NH163748, reached by turning left off the path just after the bridge across the outflow of the loch onto a boggy ATV track.  

In reply to Mark Bull:

That's a good call - boggy as anything as I recall but it's worth me adding as an alternative

In reply to Mark Bull:

Looks like I listed that in a previous Fannaichs route, so I'll copy n paste for this one too. 

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1352

Thanks!

Mark Bull 22 Feb 2023

No problem! 

DaveHK 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

> If the burns are full, there is a bridge lower down the Allt Breabaig at NH163748, reached by turning left off the path just after the bridge across the outflow of the loch onto a boggy ATV track.  

I was at this about a month ago and it's in a pretty poor state. Still usable but hard to say for how long.

Post edited at 11:44

Scomuir 22 Feb 2023

The NE spur of Sgurr Bhreac is a worthwhile alternative route to the top.  I went up that way a few weeks back. Looks quite intimidating from below, but is absolutely fine, gaining height quickly.

In reply to DaveHK:

Looks like it has a fair few years left in it but I guess it's what's underneath that really counts 

In reply to Scomuir:

That's interesting. Good in winter?

DaveHK 22 Feb 2023

> Looks like it has a fair few years left in it but I guess it's what's underneath that really counts 

Looks better in the photo than in the flesh! But yes, probably about for a few years yet.

Scomuir 22 Feb 2023

It was barely winter when i went up it at the end of January.  Just a few solid snow patches at the top that were a little too steep with microspikes, but I enjoyed some rapid step cutting practise!

I'd imagine in full winter conditions it would be an enjoyable way to the top, keeping close to the left edge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...