NEW ROUTE CARD: Beinn Dearg via the Northwest Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Perhaps as often used as a descent for winter climbers as a route up for walkers, this ridge is a grand way to tackle an imposing hill. The highest thing this far north in Scotland, Beinn Dearg's domed summit and spectacular corries make it an obvious target. But it's a long way in from any angle, and while a summer visit might include other nearby Munros (the classic being a four-peak round), even the route covered here on Beinn Dearg alone can feel a big day - especially in winter. The ridge is notable for the drystane wall running its length. Built as a destitution-relief project in the cash-strapped 19th Century, its original purpose may have been nothing more than the provision of hard labour in a time that didn't much go for 'idle' charity, but the wall has since gained a useful role as a navigational aid - something you may welcome if the ming descends on Beinn Dearg's bald pate. In season, the long return down Gleann na Sguaib gives you a chance to check out how the winter climbing on Beinn Dearg's northern crags might (or might not) be shaping up.

12.68 miles, 20.40 km, 1,137m ascent, 6 – 8 hours. Ullapool

Read more

gld73 01 Feb 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Never been up Beinn Dearg by this route but I did think it looked a good possibility - will give this way a go next time, thanks.

Mal Grey 02 Feb 2023

Glad you had a good day!

Its definitely an enjoyable approach, though as previously mentioned we'd cut up to the ridge later. Your version definitely makes more sense, especially if the river is high.

kinley2 04 Feb 2023

I really like that ridge, never very keen on dropping into glens if there's a high alternative.

Out of 3 options for accessing the ridge (including yours) my preference would be for crossing the river just above Eas Fionn (usually straightforward) and taking the easy slopes east to Bealach an Eas Fhinn.

The new road to the weir on your route certainly solves any river crossing concerns though (that wasn't there when we used that route).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...