JOBS: Glenbrittle Campsite Wardens & Cuillin Coffee Café Baristas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 24 Jan 2023

Voted No.1 UK Campsite by the Daily Telegraph and winner of the 'Gold Campsite of the Year 2019? in the Great Outdoors Magazine, we are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic and hardworking seasonal Campsite Wardens with a genuine sense of pride in their work and a varied skillset this season.

Read more

Robert Durran 10 Mar 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Endorsed by the Daily Telegraph and employing baristas. Whatever next? Oh for the good old days when it was just a field full of climbers with a little shop and a great old man in a red wooly hat came round collecting your money.

French Erick 10 Mar 2023

Can’t help but think that starting and finishing dates could be of use! Whatever does « the season » mean? 😆

Lankyman 10 Mar 2023
In reply to French Erick:

> Can’t help but think that starting and finishing dates could be of use! Whatever does « the season » mean? 😆

It does say 1st April to 15th October. I wonder if a midge net is included as PPE .... ?

Robert Durran 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> It does say 1st April to 15th October. I wonder if a midge net is included as PPE .... ?

Maybe the Barista thing is an April's fool.

wercat 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

poor need not turn up to camp at the site

JimbotheScot 10 Mar 2023

Campsite...more like motorhome truck stop

There was police at the turnoff at the top of the hill closing the road for hours last year due to the numbers of them blocking the whole road

aln 10 Mar 2023

I haven't been there for a few years, so I don't know if the photo in the advert is current. If it is, it doesn't look much different from what I remember. 

MG 10 Mar 2023

Quite pleased their website is still first come first served with no booking. £12/night not unreasonable, really.

Wainers44 10 Mar 2023
In reply to MG:

It's a lovely spot. Easy to knock the vans etc, but It's been really chilled and relaxing there every time we have been. Good place for the paddleboard too

French Erick 11 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> It does say 1st April to 15th October. I wonder if a midge net is included as PPE .... ?

I think it was updated after I emailed them. It could also be that I didn’t read it properly?

You are right re ppe!

henwardian 11 Mar 2023
In reply to MG:

> Quite pleased their website is still first come first served with no booking. £12/night not unreasonable, really.

Good for single people but if you are 3 or 4 adults in a car or a family then £35 to £48 per night is quite a bit for just a toilet/shower block and some flat grass. Edit: But it is Skye in the tourist season, which is an expensive place for accommodation and very, very busy.

I'd guess their revenue might be £1 million per year or thereabouts.

Running a booking system for 120 pitches would be a nightmare, you'd probably end up having to employ another member of staff to do that and nothing else. First come, first served is much simpler and they don't have to worry about competition because the nearest other campsites are about an hour drive away.

Post edited at 08:17
 midgen 11 Mar 2023
In reply to aln:

It's still just a big field and a small shop, but the shop has good coffee and fresh bread. It's probably awful in summer but it's my favourite campsite in spring/autumn.

Sean Kelly 11 Mar 2023

> Endorsed by the Daily Telegraph and employing baristas. Whatever next? Oh for the good old days when it was just a field full of climbers with a little shop and a great old man in a red wooly hat came round collecting your money.

I seem to recall an elderly old lady (in her 80s) lodged in a small caravan to whom you gave your shilling.

Robert Durran 11 Mar 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I seem to recall an elderly old lady (in her 80s) lodged in a small caravan to whom you gave your shilling.

You are older than me! The old man with the red bobble hat was there late 70's.

aln 11 Mar 2023
In reply to midgen:

Sounds good.

aln 11 Mar 2023

> The old man with the red bobble hat was there late 70's.

Was that Tom Weir trying to scam a few £?

ScraggyGoat 07 Jun 2023
In reply to midgen:

It has changed along with the clientele immeasurably, a large part the site is now devoted to vans………

……and you no longer get the pleasure of midges nibbling at your nether regions while sitting on the throne in the loos!

Sadly if you read the reviews; some motor homers are asking it to be turned into a Caravan and camping club jelly mould site with landscaping, trees, kiddies play area, activities ect. Next they’ll be moaning about late arrivals and early doors noose as people head for the ridge.

I will leave it to Robert to confirm if they still try and charge for sleeping in your car in the public car park at the end of the road, but I presume that tradition has gone as well,

DaveHK 07 Jun 2023
In reply to aln:

> Was that Tom Weir trying to scam a few £?

King of the anoraks:

youtube.com/watch?v=qxnr0y0ZxAc&

Dave Garnett 07 Jun 2023
In reply to midgen:

> It's still just a big field and a small shop, but the shop has good coffee and fresh bread. It's probably awful in summer but it's my favourite campsite in spring/autumn.

It was pretty good when we were there a few weeks ago. Excellent café with really nice food, coffee and fresh bread. Exceptional showers.  Don’t know what people are carping about, although admittedly I never went back in the day when everything cost thruppence and was made of wood.

65 07 Jun 2023

> Maybe the Barista thing is an April's fool.

Nope. I was there just over a week ago and there are hipster coffees and pastries on offer. The shop doesn't sell booze though, for which I'm grateful. The site seemed mostly full of people who were there for the Cuillin rather than a mancessory (awnings, fire pits, roof tents, huge barbecues etc) show.

It's still a much nicer place to be than the Slig zoo, sorry, campsite.

Robert Durran 07 Jun 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> It was pretty good when we were there a few weeks ago. Excellent café with really nice food, coffee and fresh bread. Exceptional showers. 

Just as I feared.

Robert Durran 07 Jun 2023
In reply to 65:

> It's still a much nicer place to be than the Slig zoo, sorry, campsite.

Horrible place. I blame the proximity of the pub.

65 07 Jun 2023

> Horrible place. I blame the proximity of the pub.

Yup. It's a pretty horrible pub as well.

Post edited at 17:04
 DaveHK 07 Jun 2023
In reply to 65:

> Yup. It's a pretty horrible pub as well.

£6 for a pint.

65 07 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

It just gets better and better.

In reply to 65:

I remember the Glenbrittle site back in the 70' s. Corncrakes in the field over the fence used  to  keep you awake on long June nights. Corncrakes sadly long gone.

65 07 Jun 2023
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

A friend was flung off it during the 80s. (I wasn’t there). It’s a long story involving a lot of drink driving but when asked why they were flung off the explanation was, “We got into an argument with the owner and it got out of hand when Harry threatened to hit him with the Eilean Donan Castle sign.”

Dave Garnett 07 Jun 2023

> I remember the Glenbrittle site back in the 70' s. Corncrakes in the field over the fence used  to  keep you awake on long June nights. Corncrakes sadly long gone.

Very sad, but more due to changes in agricultural practice rather than improvements in the coffee.

Cog 07 Jun 2023

> I remember the Glenbrittle site back in the 70' s. Corncrakes in the field over the fence used  to  keep you awake on long June nights. Corncrakes sadly long gone.

Corncrakes were widespread in the 70s, there were lots of them in Ayrshire.

In reply to 65:

Ah, Eilean Donan ,otherwise known as Castle Shortbread from it's frequent appearances on the lid of Shortbread tins

CurlyStevo 07 Jun 2023

Dont matter how you dress it up its going to be midgie!

atrendall 19 Jun 2023
In reply to wercat:

Not sure that in this day and age, £12 per person per night is excessive.

wercat 19 Jun 2023
In reply to atrendall:

yes, it was a facetious comment.  It is a great site and I've been using it for decades but the increase in motorized "troopcarriers" of ever increasing size and number is a matter of concern.  The backpacker field near the gate is now for fully mobilized units.  The overflow carpark on the other side of the fence was useful too.

I fear complete gentrification

Post edited at 16:37
 Robert Durran 19 Jun 2023
In reply to wercat:

Yesterday on Lewis I met a Skye resident with a big motorhome. They said there was no room on Skye for it.

How big is too big in your opinion?

FactorXXX 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I seem to recall an elderly old lady (in her 80s) lodged in a small caravan to whom you gave your shilling.

How obliging of her...

wercat 27 Jun 2023

well a Wesfalia or a Dormobile would be OK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...