Name that shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I walked up some Mamores a while back and decided to wear a pair of very old running shoes instead of massive leather boots. What a revelation. So much less tiring. Didn’t mind having wet feet. It was a pair of Montrails. Here: https://ibb.co/61ZPyhT

Anyone know what these are and what the modern equivalent is? They suited my low volume narrow feet, good all-round sole, comfortable, toe protection, a bit stiff, couldn’t feel pointy rocks through the sole, seemingly bombproof.

I daren’t wear these again on a big day out again, I think the stitching might finally be on its way out. 

ste_d 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Highlander!

In reply to ste_d:

That was fast, thank you. Doesn’t look like Montrail make anything quite like them any more. Maybe I should persist with my old ones and just carry a roll of duct tape for emergency repairs. 

CantClimbTom 24 Jan 2023

Or maybe you could turn the thread into a quest to find some UK suitable approach shoes for "low volume narrow feet, good all-round sole, comfortable, toe protection, a bit stiff, couldn’t feel pointy rocks through the sole"

If yours are on borrowed time, sounds like you would want some approach shoes that are GTX lined and have a firmer chunkier vibram sole rather than a sponge trainer type sole? Or maybe even just a pair of the lightweight walking shoes/boots they do these days (noting though, they don't last as long as traditional heavy leather)

Post edited at 06:59
 JimR 24 Jan 2023

Scarpa Spin Ultra are well worth a look

msjhes2 24 Jan 2023

Columbia bought Montrail, but the running shoes have the same fit.

steelbru 24 Jan 2023

Inov8 lightweight Goretex boots ( feel just like wearing running shoes ) are on a super sale at the moment, £155 reduced to £69

https://www.inov-8.com/roclite-g-345-gtx-mens-lightweight-hiking-boot

Thanks everyone.

One of the things I liked about walking in the Montrails was that I didn’t even bother trying to keep my feet dry. If I stepped in a knee-deep bog or a stream then the shoes are light and quick-drying. The trouble with Goretex ones is that they can keep the sweat or water trapped. Obviously not so much fun in winter.

The Montrails were a great fit for me. There’s not much that fits me as well as them, with the exception of most La Sportivas and some Inov-8s. Unfortunately the Colombia / Montrail range of trail shoes is quite limited at the moment. There was something called the Mountain Masochist but they’re discontinued.

I run in Inov-8 Mudclaws and love them, but they’re not really right for hillwalking. 

JimR 24 Jan 2023

I'm also an Inov8 fan using Roclites,Mudclaws and Terraultras. If you like the mudclaw then the Inov8 Terraultra might work well. 

I absolutely loved the Highlanders!!

I don't remember their exact stats (stack height/drop), but I gravitated towards the La Sportiva Mutant shortly after the Highlander became unavailable and recall them feeling quite similar. 

Might be worth a try?

In reply to JimR:

Thanks Jim. The Inov-8 Terraultras are now called Trailflys and have Inov-8’s “fit scale” scale of 5, whereas the Mudclaws (which fit me nicely) are 1. I’ve been caught out by Inov-8’s varied sizing and different lasts before. Very uncomfortable experience. 

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Those look interesting thanks, especially since there is an alternative colour scheme for those who don’t like the Jackson Pollock ones. Anyone know what the sizing is like? Same as the Boulder X shoe maybe?

petegunn 24 Jan 2023

+1 for the mutants, the fabric each side of the toe box seems to wear through quite quickly though long before the tread wears out. If this issue could be fixed they would be 5 stars.

The spin ultras are very good but the tread isn't as deep - more of a trail running shoe than fell shoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...