Outdoor Exercise and Mental Health

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joel Davis 17 Jan 2023

Hello all, I am completing a college research project on the effects of exercise on mental health. 

It would be great if you could fill out my short questionaire, completed in under 5 minutes. 

https://forms.office.com/e/1gCjRdPA2r

Many thanks!

In reply to Joel Davis:

Done.
I think the cross-referencing of the question numbers might be wrong in places.

OP Joel Davis 17 Jan 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Thank you mate, checked and corrected. 

climberchristy 17 Jan 2023
In reply to Joel Davis:

Started to try to fill it in but found I couldn't because... Q1 I answered greater than 5 hours. Fine. But then Q2 and Q3 are almost impossible to answer because they depend entirely upon the time of year. Now in winter I climb 3 or 4 times per week indoors so adding up to maybe 12 to 16 hours inside. However, in summer I do virtually no indoor climbing and do a lot of full days outside. 

MisterPiggy 19 Jan 2023
In reply to Joel Davis:

Completed.

In doing so it was clear (in my case, living in Manila) that it would be useful to have more detail is the 'outdoors' category. There is all the difference in the world between outdoors-Snowdonia, and 'outdoors-heavily polluted, dense urban area'. 

Comes to mind also that your sample (UKC members) are pre-determined to agree that outside is preferable to inside, is it not?

Anyhow, hope you get lots of responses.

Cordially, j

Michael Gordon 19 Jan 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

> Comes to mind also that your sample (UKC members) are pre-determined to agree that outside is preferable to inside, is it not?>

That's a very good point. I hope the study isn't just being conducted within the outdoor community. It seems unlikely that a sample of gym members would give similar results, but it would certainly be an interesting one to test.

Derek Furze 19 Jan 2023
In reply to Joel Davis:

Done.  Quite hard to classify at times.  I hope that you can make sense of it!

Brass Nipples 20 Jan 2023
In reply to Joel Davis:

‘You may have experienced a flow state at some point — that sense of fluidity between your body and mind, where you are totally absorbed by and deeply focused on something, beyond the point of distraction. Time feels like it has slowed down. Your senses are heightened. You are at one with the task at hand, as action and awareness sync to create an effortless momentum. Some people describe this feeling as being “in the zone.”’ (Headspace)

I can experience the flow state for hours at a time outdoors.  Whilst it can be experienced indoors, it’s rarer, and last for much shorter periods.  There’s just something about the stimulus to the senses outdoors that just cannot be replicated indoors.

It sounds a bit hippy, but I can feel at one with my environment outdoors, in addition to being in the flow state.   I feel refreshed, as though all pressures in my life have been eased. Even though you can be working hard, you are physiologically and mentally relaxed at the same time, free of stress.

Post edited at 10:24
 colinakmc 21 Jan 2023
In reply to Joel Davis:

Done. Have to say all my answers seemed a bit obvious, so not sure how much more to learn, from me at any rate.

gribble 21 Jan 2023
In reply to Joel Davis:

Done. That was possibly the most pointless questionnaire I have seen here! Basically, do you like "exercise"(?!) indoors or outdoors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...