Waterproof trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 07 Jan 2023

Ok, 'waterproof' is a dubious concept, but I'm looking for some trousers for, let's say, a 25 mile hike over Kinder and Bleaklow in continuous torrential rain and strong cold winds. (A bit like today)

Recommendations please.
Ta

TMM 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Say "hello" to these bad boys!

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/for_sale+wanted/rab_kangri_pant_gore-tex_...

I'm not sure anything is really 'waterproof' if you are exerting yourself on a 25 mile walk in continuously wet weather. 

Face fabrics wet out, moisture builds up inside. I think it is just about what keep you most comfortable in those conditions.

In all day foul weather in typical UK winter conditions (wet windy but warm) I find running tights and good quality gore-tex over trousers are as good as any other combo at moving moisture away from the skin and leaving you as comfortable as possible in a fairly high aerobic activity.

felt 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Berghaus Deluge. Why spend more? If I'm going to be in them all day I'll wear them over a pair of lightweight pyjama bottoms.

BuzyG 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Fredt:

I own a pair of Berghaus Deluge - now relegated to dog walking duty and forestry work due to holing them on rocks etc, but they have served me well on many a wet day on the hill. Recommended.

I now use a pair of army surplus goretex trousers from ebay, only cost £30, as new condition. Impressed with them, tough, good quality, and they have full length waterproof zips. Why pay more?

Post edited at 18:14
In reply to Fredt:

I've had a pair of Cioch Outdoors bespoke trousers for a few years. Just back from 8 day bothying and camping trip in Coulin and Kintail, excellent fit, waterproof and comfortable. Worth every penny.

TobyA 07 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

> If I'm going to be in them all day I'll wear them over a pair of lightweight pyjama bottoms.

To save time at the end of the day, so you can just pull off the waterproofs and jump into bed?!

felt 07 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

That's the idea, and it saves time in the morning too. 

GrahamD 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Fredt:

In my experience any reputable make of overtrousers works but what really makes a difference is a pair of cheap nylon gaiters to stop water channelling into your boots.

Kryank 07 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

> Berghaus Deluge. Why spend more? If I'm going to be in them all day I'll wear them over a pair of lightweight pyjama bottoms.

Another for these, had a pair about 4 years, think I paid under £30 Mrs K has some too. Like posted before wear them over running tights / thermal running tights I have found them to be great. 

Denni 08 Jan 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Deluge pants are great and when mine actually failed (4 years ago), I bought a pair of Simond ones from Decathlon and they’re outstanding.

Mine are the older version of the ones below but nothing much has changed and I’ve found them more useable and waterproof than deluge pants.

HTH, Den 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-mountaineering-waterproof-overtrousers-...

toad 08 Jan 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Paramo cascada are what I use for exactly a long day working on Kinder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...