Cogne/Lillaz Conditions - best guidebook for higher icefalls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.wahab 05 Jan 2023

I've got a trip booked for Lillaz in late Jan/Early Feb - hopefully things will be colder by then, but if they aren't, I'm guessing the best bet for climbable routes will be to go as high as possible. I have the Oxford Alpine Club guide to the area, of which the higher routes are at an altitude of about 2000-2200m. Are there any higher icefalls (or even snow routes) than that, and do any of the more definitive guides cover these higher routes?

Mentioned in the beginning are two more definitve sounding guides:

1) Effimeri Barbagli

2) Alpine Ice Vol 1

I'd be interested to know if these books contain many higher altitude ice falls than the OAC guide.

Failing that, what do you do in the alps when everything's melted? Flogging up munros or drinking tea are what I end up doing in Scotland when everything's melted. Wine and Cheese may be more appropriate for the area...

thegrowler1981 06 Jan 2023
In reply to joe.wahab:

Hi Joe. 

Not sure about Cogne/Lillaz, more about the alps in general...Check out the Conditions page to see what routes are being done and go from there. Routes on the Tacul are getting done, Chere Couloir in condition, other mixed routes possible too. Easy uplift that way. Could also consider routes just off the Skyway, Tour Ronde, Aig du Toule. Another good way of seeing what's in is looking at the local guides IG/FB etc. Also some good groups on FB that share current conditions of ice routes in the region. My tuppence, by no means an expert.

Cheers

Chris

OP joe.wahab 11 Jan 2023
In reply to thegrowler1981:

Thank you Chris!

TonyM 12 Jan 2023
In reply to joe.wahab:

The OAC book has all the main ice climbs that are likely to be in condition the Cogne area. I've got the other guides (inc. Francois Damilano's) and they're not going to give you more options.

There've been ice routes getting done in the area over Christmas, even with the crazily warm temperatures, so I'd stick with Cogne, even it it's a bit milder than normal. You'll find plenty of routes to do. It's one of the most reliable venues in all of Europe! In reality, a bigger to your plans is avalanche risk, depending on what happens to new snowfall between now and end of month.

Not sure I'd recommend switching to some of the big winter lines off the Valley Blanche, unless you're really into your winter alpinism. It's a different kind of holiday. More serious and involved logistically than the predominantly ice cragging of Cogne area.

Post edited at 09:44
 Dave Williams 12 Jan 2023
In reply to joe.wahab:

Mentioned in the beginning are two more definitve sounding guides:

1) Effimeri Barbagli

2) Alpine Ice Vol 1

I'd be interested to know if these books contain many higher altitude ice falls than the OAC guide.

As it happens, I've got copies of both the above guidebooks. As a one time frequent visitor to Cogne, I bought them in order to climb less frequented and more esoteric routes away from the usual Lillaz and Cogne honey pots. In this sense  both are excellent, especially Effimeri Barbagli, a superb guidebook which definitively describes everything in the Aosta valley. Alpine Ice is more of a bumper fun tick book, summarily listing the 600 best ice falls in the French, Swiss, Austrian Italian and Slovenian Alps. 

Popular Cogne ice falls are all comparatively high anyway (1800m at least) and generally quite accessible, yet comparatively less frequented routes in less popular places such as Valsavarenche, Valgrisenche, Valle di Ollomont etc are hardly any higher and are often lower.

The definitive Effimeri Barbagli describes everything but, realistically, if  the 'usual' Valle di Cogne ice falls aren't in condition, then it's likely that the same will apply to most other accessible routes in the Aosta area as well.

The key word here is accessibility. The area's ice falls can often be climbed in lean conditions, at possibly a higher grade, but snowfall is the major embuggeration factor in the whole Cogne/Aosta area. Roads may be closed, temporarily or seasonally, by snow barriers, meaning you can't even get anywhere near the described parking for an ice fall, let alone then ski or snowshoe from there. This affects higher and more remote climbs in particular. I'm particularly reminded of a whole day wasted in a failed attempt to drive a snowchain equipped 4x4 through deep snow. We were eventually forced to give up about 4km short of the trail head for the icefall we had designs on.

A big dump of snow can also lead to dangerous avalanche conditions. The benign looking routes on the hydrographic left of Cogne's Valnontey are notorious in this respect. People, including British climbers, have been injured and even killed by avalanches here. Under such conditions, Patri is often the only 'safe' route in the whole valley.

I can't see that everything will be melted at the end of Jan, but admittedly conditions may be lean if nothing changes much in the meantime. Personally I'd welcome lean conditions with minimal snow cover rather than seeing everything buried under a big dump of snow when all you can practically do is either fester in cafés and gear shops, go snowshoeing or skiing, or climb the myriad variations on Cascata di Lillaz.

After over a decade of visiting the Aosta area annually, deep fresh snowfall became an all too frequent issue. I eventually stopped visiting and went seeking more reliable conditions, at much greater expense, in Norway instead. After one great trip and a few consecutive poor ones, the increasingly unpredictable Norwegian weather gave either lean conditions and/or big dumps of snow even there. So, a quick cost-benefit analysis meant that I simply stopped going and the ice gear went into storage. For the past few years I've been rock climbing in the Anti Atlas instead.....

My advice, FWIW, is not to worry at this stage about conditions. They are what they are and there's little or nothing you can do in mitigation.

As others have said, the Oxford guidebook is all you need for a first (or even a 2nd, 3rd...) trip. It's always exciting to go somewhere new and even if conditions are lean, you'll get something done. 

HTH

Dave

Post edited at 13:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...