Anyone used Simond (Decathlon brand) shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Sick of paying out the arse for good shoes, only to ruin them on plastic. 

Just want something for the gym that I can wear for 2 hours without taking off, and wondering if their shoes are decent enough. The price point is spot on. They're all about £40 or so. 

Anyone know what rubber they use? Own compound? 

james1978 26 Dec 2022
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

One of the vibram XS compounds I think. Either grip or edge...can't remember which.

Hope that helps. 

Andypeak 26 Dec 2022

The more expensive one like the Edge use vibram grip. I think the cheaper ones use own brand  compound rubber 

beamer3.6m 26 Dec 2022

I tried them on as was also taken by the price but I wasn’t convinced by the quality and wondered if it was a false economy… when I compared to GoOutdoors I felt the discount on more known brands made the Simmons shoes seem less desirable…

I managed to get a pair of adidas karigami 5.10 for £59 from GoOutdoors and this seemed a better deal to me and were very comfy too.

I've had them in the past foot exactly that reason.  They work fine and lasted well.

Give them a go,  even if you use them for warning and and routine stuff,  then save a better pair of shoes for trying hard.

spenser 26 Dec 2022

I have a pair, more conventional manufacturers have been messing round with the lasts so they didn't fit my forefoot, Simond fit pretty well.

Bring back moccasyms on the old last!

Cheers guys, pulled the trigger on a pair of these bad boys for £35: 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-shoe-first-klimb-grey/_/R-p-303601?m...

Will give them a little review here after a bit of use, assuming they fit and don't hurt my feet. 

jdh90 27 Dec 2022

I got a pair because I was also fed up with trashing more expensive shoes. Even when those "expensive" ones were bought at Go Outdoors clearance prices.

That and the realisation that at the grade I climb (about 6b), my shoes probably weren't limiting my performance.

I went down about a size and a half to get a nice feeling fit but they are still very comfortable, can wear for hours.

Bought pre pandemic, they're still going strong and I would definitely buy again. I'd agree with previous poster that they maybe didn't feel quality when first tried on, maybe because there's a bit of synthetic material rather than all suedey stuff, but they have lasted well and performance has been great imo.

Decathlon tend to rank their gear beginner, intermediate, advanced. My local shop had only two choices in stock, I got the upper one can't rember if "intermediate" or "expert" tier. They're velcro, grey and flouro green. The lower ones were lace up and more high top shape.

Fellover 27 Dec 2022

I've used a pair of the simond double velcro strap shoes (I think the vertika?), sized to fit socks underneath for lots of grit solos at a modest grade and for big alpine routes wearing them all day. I used to find them very comfy for all day wear, but recently not so much, I think that's probably a change of my feet rather than the shoe though, still decently comfy. Also occasionally wear them for harder (for me) leads and they're ok, if not particularly great. I'll wear them for indoors as well, because they're cheap and I don't mind wearing them out, especially useful when I'm doing circuit board endurance sessions, I do need to get out of the habit of wearing them for hard (for me) indoor boulders though, think it probably degrades my already poor technique!

My favourite pair of hard (for me) trad and sport shoes is the simond ones with the big toe rubber patch, I think the edge II's. They just fit me really well and seem surprisingly comfortable at the same time.

Never had any complaints about the rubber on either.

In reply to jdh90:

>That and the realisation that at the grade I climb (about 6b), my shoes probably weren't limiting my performance.

Yeah, I max out at 7a+ bouldering indoors (although not right now, and probably not for a while) and thinking back on most of those boulders I really don't feel like shoes or rubber were much of a limiting factor at all. Only place it might make a big difference is slab, but I hate slab and tend to avoid it. 

We will see though, I guess. I very rarely get foot slips when climbing, so I should notice quite quickly if the shoes are crap and having a negative impact. 

I do wonder how much all this fancy shoe tech really matters. Climbers of the 80's were climbing nails stuff, with some seriously crappy tech on their feet. 

HakanT 27 Dec 2022

I haven't checked recently, but I know they used to offer £25 resoles for their shoes. I can't vouch for the quality of their workmanship, but that's about half of what you usually pay.

Simon King 27 Dec 2022

Used the blue lace ups on E5s and 7a+s. Great boots if they fit your feet.

So I had them delivered. You really need to downsize with them. I went down 1 full size, and they still felt like canoes. Will have to return them. 

Didn't really like the fit either, so just bought some La Sportiva Turantulaces. Not as budget as I wanted to go, but I know they perform well and fit my feet. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...