Glue for resoling shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 07 Nov 2022

Inspired by the other resoling thread I took a look at my current street shoes, which are in very nice condition up top but in need of new soles. They are Scarpa Mojito or Margarita I think. I don't think they are worth paying the £60+ that proper resolers are asking, but after Googling and reading some tutorials I'm up for giving it a go myself. I even have some suitable sole material lying around, all I need is the glue. All the stuff I've read recommends Barge cement, but this seems to be unavailable in the UK and very expensive to get shipped from the USA.

Has anyone successfully resoled their own shoes, and if so what glue did you use?

Toerag 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I've successfully glued the soles back onto Tevas with Sikaflex 291 polyurethane adhesive. I've also used 'no more nails' type stuff and that didn't work anywhere near as well.  Polyurethane is what the purpose-made 'shoo-Goo' is made from too, so I suspect pretty much any polyurethane adhesive will work.

LastBoyScout 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I've had good results repairing the kids shoes with Bison rubber solution - even says it's suitable for repairing sports shoes:

https://www.bison.net/en/product.6308250.liquid-rubber

Not so good with trying to glue the soles back on my trail shoes, but I probably didn't spend enough time cleaning/degreasing them first, as they came off after a while - must give it another go with the newer pair.

Jon Greengrass 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

Evo-stik contact adhesive is what you want, I’ve resolved a couple of pairs using it. Smells just like a shoe repair shop.

JimR 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

Shoe goo.     Also rhymes with you, Hooo

OP Hooo 07 Nov 2022
In reply to JimR:

Woo hoo, thank yooo.

OP Hooo 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I've used Shoe goo for repairs, and tried Evo Stik in the red tin before. I don't feel that either is the best for a full sole replacement. From what I've read, Barge cement is on a different level to the stuff for small repairs, so that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

John 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

Aquasure is very similar to shoo-glue. It is holding many of my boots together. 

https://outdoor.mcnett.eu/outdoor/aquasure-urethane-repair-adhesive-sealant

Top tip: once open store it in the freezer. Defrost before use. 

chris_r 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

> Woo hoo, thank yooo.

But don't use UHU

ebdon 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I've used the mcnett aquasure stuff before to rebuild soles and re glue delaminated soles with some success, as John says keep in it in the freezer.

StevieH 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

Hi, 

most cobblers / Orthotic companies seem to use Renia glues. However as industrial glues that start off in 1 litre containers.

They do an impact adhesive shoe repair glue called ‘Klebfest’ in small tubes which may do the job.

make sure both surfaces to be bonded are free of any dirt etc and roughened up. Then press with as much pressure as possible.

There is also a German company called Extremme textil that sell Vibram rubber sheet.

Hope this is of some help.

OP Hooo 11 Nov 2022
In reply to StevieH:

That's the sort of thing I'm after, thanks. What the professionals use. I should have realised that it would come in large quantities though. Now the challenge is going to be buying a sensible quantity.

I already have the Vibram sheet, bought from Extremtextil. It's been lying around for a while, I can't remember what I originally bought it for.

smally 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

As StevieH says, Renia Klebfest is good stuff. I have used it for resoling rock shoes and repairing walking boots with peeling soles.

I just get 60g tubes off eBay, cheap and plenty listed. 

Cheers, Iain.

OP Hooo 11 Nov 2022
In reply to smally:

That's just want I'm after, thanks. I've just searched eBay and it's so cheap for a tube that I would normally have written it off as junk, but based on your and Stevie's recommendation I'm going to give it a go.

JimR 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I’ve used shoogoo to repair trainers, but I used klebfest to resole climbing shoes. Both worked well for what I did

nufkin 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Hooo:

>  Barge cement... very expensive to get shipped from the USA.

Not a bad effort

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...