Large crag pack with a way to carry a clip stick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabostar 04 Nov 2022

Any suggestions for a decent large crag pack that will take a clip stick? Or do you normally just carry that separately?

I really like the look of the Black Diamond creek 50 but don't see a logical way to attach a clip stick for carrying on the trail. 

My current crag pack is an aging 34/45 pack with a side zip for easy access. It's getting on a bit but I keep going back to it as it does everything!

Looking for a decent sized pack for all my gear with good access so I'm not rummaging around looking for stuff.

In reply to sabostar:

Grivel Alpine. The ski holders down the side are ideal for clip sticks. 

In reply to sabostar:

We sell the Trango Crag Pack 2.0 that has an attachment for the clip stick on the outside. 

Probably the best crag pack I've ever used and I'm not just saying that!! Really comfy carry, loads of room.

https://www.outside.co.uk/climbing-gear/climbing-rucksacks-bags/climbing-al...

In reply to sabostar:

Most packs this size will have either ski attachments, walking pole attachments or at the very least compression straps, all of which would allow you to attach a clip stick, or failing that put the stick inside the bag and close the lid around it!

midgen 05 Nov 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Rab Rogue 48. Loads of room for trad gear. Comfy, easy access, attachments on the side for poles.

OP sabostar 05 Nov 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks. Looks like a good pack, but as with many crag packs, it only has top loading. The BD creek pack is heavy but it has a full length zip so there is zero rummaging around for stuff. 

OP sabostar 05 Nov 2022
In reply to midgen:

Looks like a nice pack, but I'm ideally looking for one with a full length zip for easier access. My current pack is ideal for alpine, but annoying for a day at the local crags (Portland, Winspit...)

midgen 05 Nov 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I don't know how/why they managed to not show this on the product website.....but the back panel opens giving you easy access to everything. It swallows a full trad rack with double cams and 2x50m half ropes (one in the main compartment, one over the shoulders, lunch, water, and extra layers. Perfect crag bag imo!

https://imgur.com/a/2PGkSlF

In reply to sabostar:

Ye, annoyingly I've got an older version and it does have a side zip 🤦

OP sabostar 05 Nov 2022
In reply to midgen:

Thanks, looks like it could be ideal!

MischaHY 06 Nov 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I've had the Creek 50 and Pipe Dream 45 to test from work. The Pipe Dream literally swallows a clipstick with ease and is the least faff to pack of any bag I've ever owned. That being said if I had to own one it would be the Creek because it takes more gear than seems possible with ease and is very comfy on long approaches with a heavy pack. 

OP sabostar 06 Nov 2022
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks for the info. The pipe dream looks unusual!

I also like the look of the Patagonia crag smith but no external rope attachment is a problem.

OP sabostar 06 Nov 2022
In reply to midgen:

How have you found carrying a rope externally?

Morgan Woods 07 Nov 2022
In reply to MischaHY:

I have had both and didn't like the pipedream because everything just slides out when you open it. Creek 50 is waaaaaay better and I just put my (beta compact) clipstick down the front sleeve. If I take my longer clip stick then I just carry in hand which is no big deal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...