Paramo Torres Altura - Reviews?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Looking for thoughts on the latest model. There's not a lot of input around, and the UKC review was 5 years ago. Can see some good deals around so wondering if it's still a baggy sack, or has it improved? Will be for arctic ski touring. 

Thanks all!

In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Just a thought - my guess is they will still be oversized!! I should say I don’t actually have the latest model, but they have always been made for over layering Paramo waterproofs which themselves have always been generously sized and bulky, so I would expect the same.

I have both a Torres jacket and a Torres gilet. Both are big; baggy would be one description! My older model Torres jacket and my even older gilet model both measure in at 47 ins (probably stretched with use from around 46 ins when made) for what Paramo stated to be for 43 ins chest. I can’t imagine even if Paramo has reduced the sizing recently, it would be by much as they still clearly state they are for over layering their jackets. 

If you are considering buying one, don’t get any comment from a user of the current model, and can’t try on yourself, ask Paramo for an actual size measurement as made. Paramo always had good phone customer service in the past so they should be able to help.

Post edited at 21:09
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

My partner is normally a medium so we ordered a S and M from the outlet store. Hopefully they'll be good! Will update 

Andypeak 30 Oct 2022

Last time I ordered some paramo cascada which was a year or so ago they had completely changed the cut of the trousers. They were one of the few brands I can fit my tree trunk legs in without getting a 36 inch waste (I'm normally 32) but alas they have gone the way of everyone else and are now slim cut. 

In reply to Andypeak:

Maybe the OP will get an unwanted surprise. Can’t imagine though for an over layering jacket as it would still have to be large enough to go over the Paramo waterproof jacket or they would be not as described, nor fit for purpose otherwise. OP said they will update.

However, I see Paramo now describe the Cascada Trousers as trim, contoured shape! That’s a changed description over the older ones which were generous in sizing; lucky they always had an elastic waist!

If you like the Cascada Trousers, remember you can get the same Paramo material in made to measure trousers by Cioch Direct. Yes it costs more, but you would get the size you need. I know quite a few folk who have used the made to measure (called Perfect Fit iirc) and have been very happy with the results. They used to do free alterations if they didn’t fit as expected.

We got the jackets. Size wise they're pretty much spot on for layering as a mid layer, for their respective sizes. They're quite long in the body, but not baggy at all. 

It seems a great jacket in terms of features, but the construction concerns me. The face fabric is really thin and fragile feeling, like if you caught it on a zip it would definitely tear and rucksack abrasion would do a number on it really quick. The insulation also feels very separate to the face fabric which makes me think migration would be a real concern.

Hard to say whether it will get kept. It was picked up for a reasonable price (£112) but what's the point if it just gets trashed really quick...

Thanks for update; hopefully will help others.

For info, migration of insulation has never occurred with either jacket or gilet although I did think it would happen at some point in the early days of using. The gilet had been washed so many times, so at least with mine, if it was going to happen it would of by now I would have thought. I haven’t used the jacket much to really comment.

With the outer material, appreciate it looks and feels thin; all I can say is mine has never been damaged. Maybe I’m over careful! With the gilet I’ve caught zips, worn rucksacks, etc., and the fabric has survived. It does look dull though now and there is some bobbling on the arm edging material reflecting it has been well used, but it’s still functional.

I’ve been been happy with mine as insulators, despite them feeling baggy!

Further update - they got sent back. Just felt too fragile for use with a rucksack/expedition use. We have other lightweight synthetic jackets that don't feel like that, so just had to make the call. The hunt continues!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...