Peak running round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brendan Rose 15 Oct 2022

anyone know if there's anything equivalent to the Bob Graham/Paddy Buckley rounds in the Pennines or Peak? recently found a lot of psyche for fell running and looking for a (fairly) local challenge.

Tom Briggs 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Brendan Rose:

Some ideas here under 'Other Challenges':

https://www.dpfr.org.uk/pages/view/bob-graham

The bradfield boundary run looks like a cracking 55 miler - have always fancied it https://ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Bradfield+Boundary+...

Also the Edale skyline is a great route, as is the linear Peak District South to North: do the races or run the routes in your own time

DaveHK 15 Oct 2022

I'd  like to think we've reach peak running round but probably not.

Ponte_ricky 15 Oct 2022

Hey, first post here...

I tried to put an equivalent kind of 24hr round together in calderdale that I attempted last year. I got 2/3 of the way round before pulling out with a nasty LCL strain. Would love to see someone else have a go. I'm still struggling to get going again over a year later unfortunately so wont be having a go myself anytime in the near future.

https://ponte-ricky.blogspot.com/2022/04/lessons-to-be-learnt-from-mark-par...

Post edited at 22:18
 maybe_si 15 Oct 2022

Derwent Watershed?

Ponte_ricky 16 Oct 2022

The upper calder valley 13 trigs is (mostly) a pretty decent day out too

hokkyokusei 16 Oct 2022

Calderdale Way? I've run various legs as part of a relay, but know of a couple of people that ran the whole thing.

greg_may_ 16 Oct 2022
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Some of it is pants. legs 4 and 5 mainly

The New NickB 16 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

> Some of it is pants. legs 4 and 5 mainly

Legs 4 of the Calderdale is probably the best leg. I like leg 5 as well.

greg_may_ 16 Oct 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

Hang on, 4 the one from Wainstalls. Which is good.

It's legs 5 and 6 that are pants.

I've only raced 2 and 3.

Ponte_ricky 17 Oct 2022

Wainstalls to shelf is leg 5, which I actually think is some really nice trail running for a lot of it. Never done leg 6 though

The Norris 17 Oct 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I wonder if the thread title would have read better if it were 'Peaks running round'...

It would be epic and multi day but nobody has done a continuous Ethels loop yet...

Nic Barber 17 Oct 2022

Dark Peak 15 trigs is a classic DP BG training run. Aim to do it in 15h, about 80km, start/finish at The Sportsman Lodge Moor (or Royal, Hayfield/Royal Oak Old Glossop)

Stuart Walker has also put together some form or dark-and-white peak trigs round which is closer to 24h. Will try and do some digging on this.

raussmf 17 Oct 2022

The FKT site has a good few peak routes. Edale skyline is brilliant with plenty options extend such as an out and back to snake pass.

https://fastestknowntime.com/routes

Jaomes 18 Oct 2022

Check out John Merrill walking books, particularly “peak marathons”. Lots of ideas for big days out up to 50+ miles. 

Botion 18 Oct 2022

Lots of great Ideas!

The Hebden Bridge to Hunters Bar is a classic point to point of around 50 miles and highly recommended. Easy to do via public transport too. 

It can also be done via Castleton too if you are not Sheffield based.

The Derwent Watershed is the ultra classic hardish route in the Peak district of around 42 miles. I've done a solo version from Hunters Bar and back (62 miles) which ups the difficulty is somewhat significantly 

If transport can be arranged then the Full Eastern Edges from the Woodhead to Ambergate, is although straightforward but an  interesting classic route of 45 miles...

And then there is the 6 Peak District Country Tops from Crowden to Buxton. 53 miles and hard all the way. The big issue is arranging lifts.

So many good ideas out there! 

In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> It would be epic and multi day but nobody has done a continuous Ethels loop yet...

I'm sure someone from DPFR will have a crack at it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...