Three peaks footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamielong20 11 Oct 2022

Evening all, in a few weeks I am doing the national three peaks challenge and just wondered if anyone could recommend footwear. 

I currently have a pair of salomon Mid GTX boots which have served me well and I have climbed in numerous times before but never run in them

Anyone have any recommendations? Or will they be sufficient as  I can imagine any Boot will hurt 

Thanks

Dave the Rave 11 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Should be fine as long as the soles aren’t too worn?

Are they the fabric ones? Should be no problem to jog a bit

in even if they’re leather. Have a practice?

I did my 3 peaks in Walsh PB, which I probably wouldn’t do again. Too painful on the large rocks and even in summer I had cold, wet feet.

This would not be good given that it’s October and there possibly could be snow. 

If there is snow, you would also need some crampons etc.

C Witter 11 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Best advice is to cancel the challenge and go for a proper walk instead of a very long drive.

olddirtydoggy 11 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

I bet nobody has done it in a pair of stilettos, go on dare you!

TobyA 11 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

> Evening all, in a few weeks...

In a few weeks it will be November. The Ben has already had snow on it in recent weeks (plenty of webcams so you can check for yourself), and by November it could have lots of snow on it. If it does you need proper winter boots, crampons and an ice axe and of course know how to use them.

The arse end of October seems like a particularly miserable time to go up those hills - of course you might have nice weather, but you could well be walking around in cold rain with no visibility at all.

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but do you know what you are doing? Particularly Ben Nevis can be a really serious place on a short day and in poor weather.

toad 12 Oct 2022
In reply to TobyA:

> The arse end of October seems like a particularly miserable time to go up those hills - of course you might have nice weather, but you could well be walking around in cold rain with no visibility at all.

This ! I've just had a week in the lakes. Usual mixed weather. Couple of days of glorious weather, a couple of days of downpour. Because I had a week, I could choose the days I went high, the days I canoe'd and the day in the pub. You can't do this. If you aren't fully committed to 3 nasty cold wet, dangerous mountain trips, you could easily have a thoroughly miserable time, or possibly worse. 

Post edited at 08:18
 dunc56 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Get yourself the biggest Hummer you can and save the hassle of walking.

Dark-Cloud 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

You mention running, but the 3 peaks challenge is traditionally a walking challenge, have you run in the hills before, if you have you shouldn't need advice on footwear?

I suggest you stay at home and make a donation to Wasdale MRT, half of what you would have spent on the trip would be very welcomed by them.

If you do decide to do it please be quiet and respectful in all locations, especially in Wasdale at whatever ungodly hour you decide to rock up, if you happen to wake me up while i am on the campsite in the next week or so you will be met by a very angry man shouting at you.

Andy Johnson 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Some people find boots difficult to drive in, even for short distances, because they can inhibit fine foot movement when using the pedals - so my advice would be to practice driving in them first, as you're going to be spending most of your time driving. Unless your vehicle has problems with ingress of rain or standing water from the road, then the goretex membrane probably won't make much difference either way. Although I guess if you have the footwell heater on then it may help with dissipating perspiration. Re "any boot will hurt": if the boots are tight then wriggling your toes periodically might help with cramp on the long drive. Mids are probably a better choice for driving in than boots with a higher ankle, though.

For the walking bit the boots should be fine.

Robert Durran 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

I believe flip-flops (or "sliders" as the youth of today would have them) are de rigeur.

timparkin 12 Oct 2022

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Alternatively, take another pair of shoes for the driving. 

<wooosh>

Andy Johnson 12 Oct 2022
In reply to the thread:

I sometimes wonder about this:

After descending from Yr Wyddfa, cycle from Llanberis to Caernarfon. Sail up the Manai Strait and through the Irish Sea past the Isle of Man to the harbour at Whitehaven. Cycle to Gosforth before transferring to a kayak to navigate the Irt and Wast Water. Nip up and down Scafell Pike before reversing the route back to Whitehaven. Sail up through the North Channel, past the Mull of Kintyre, and through the Sound of Jura into Loch Linnhe. From the marina at Fort William, cycle along Glen Nevis to the Nevis bridge and walk up the Ben for a dram at the top.

I'd pay someone with a sailboat to help me do it this way. I might even think it was worth asking people to sponsor me. I think it would be a good trip.

Dark-Cloud 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Think its already a thing, apart from the kayak...

https://www.threepeaksyachtrace.co.uk/about-the-race

TobyA 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Think its already a thing, apart from the kayak...

I remember reading about it I think in a Karrimor catalogue in 1989 or 90!

Andy Johnson 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Think its already a thing, apart from the kayak...

Nice - I'd not heard of this before. Although I don't much fancy all that running tbh...

Bulls Crack 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Slippers made out of something sustainable for all the driving  hours?  

In reply to Andy Johnson:

I think the 3 peaks yatch race dispenses with the bike and kayak.

I can see the bike would be helpful, especially if you are not keen on running, but I would give the kayak a miss and just cycle to wasdale head, I've kayaked down from wastwater to santon bridge a couple of times, that requires a reasonable flow that your often don't get in the summer and it would be a real battle to do this strecth upstream.

OP Jamielong20 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Thanks for the genuine replys, in relation to tackling the actual challenge we have climbed all 3 during winter with the appropriate equipment however they were separate and of course a slower pace then we aim for this time. 

I shall march on with the original boots thanks

TobyA 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

> I shall march on with the original boots thanks

Can you put some kind of crampons on them if necessary? Kahtoolas for example?

wbo2 12 Oct 2022
In reply to TobyA:  They'll take Kahtoolas, but honestly... in October...? 

I would have multiple sets of dry clothing tho'

TobyA 12 Oct 2022
In reply to wbo2:

2019, I walked up Scafell Pike on something like the 20th October and there was lots of snow on the top. Admittedly I didn't need crampons but it's what? 300 mtrs lower and 300 kms further south the Beinn Nibheis! That autumn was great though, early November and this was Crib Lem on Carnedd Llewellyn - managed to even land on a weekend too! 

montyjohn 12 Oct 2022
In reply to Jamielong20:

Provided it's not icy I would just use a pair of trail running shoes. I've got a pair of timps by Altra and hiking in them is like walking on clouds.

If conditions call for it I'd then just wear my winter boots. In my case Scarpa mantas. 

I don't have an in-between shoe. I don't really see the point so never replaced my summer hiking boots.

Andy Johnson 13 Oct 2022
In reply to mountain.martin:

> but I would give the kayak a miss and just cycle to wasdale head, I've kayaked down from wastwater to santon bridge a couple of times, that requires a reasonable flow that your often don't get in the summer and it would be a real battle to do this strecth upstream

Thanks, and I'm sure you're right. I'm not a kayaker and the route I described was just based on idle musings while looking at a map and trying to join the dots without using a car. Nice to have some realistic perspective, even if the chances of me ever doing the whole thing are small.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...