GROUP TEST: Trail Running Shoes - also good for walkers and climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 28 Sep 2022

Not just for running, trail shoes are the most versatile of footwear, and prove ideal for both hillwalking and crag approaches too. Lighter and more forgiving than a walking boot, they also beat approach shoes for all day comfort and grip on grass and mud. In this group test we're looking for the best all-rounders.

Read more

Garethza 28 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

> They're the most versatile of outdoor shoes - you can even go running in them.

Matt Podd 28 Sep 2022

Brooks Cascadia are my favourites. on about my 10th pair.

Exile 28 Sep 2022

I'm not usually one to be negative but given their popularity I think not having a Scott shoe in the review is an oversight. 

wbo2 28 Sep 2022
In reply to Exile: or a Hoka, or an Altra, Nike.... there are a lot of shoes on the marketing.  There are any number of online running shoes, but its good to have an article comparing a selection of shoes of different types  ,  you'll need to extrapolate to your personal favourites 

I can't say enough good about the previously revised Ribelle Run as an all-round mountain trainer 

ianstevens 28 Sep 2022
In reply to wbo2:

Or Salomon?? Weird selection for this test IMO. All nice looking shoes for sure, but lots of the main players missing!

GordonHorwich 29 Sep 2022

Very surprised to see no Inov8 shoes (Roclites are my preferences for trails, mudclaws when more aggressive grip is needed) in here as surely they are the market leaders for fell runners in the UK. Also nothing on the classic UK brand Walsh. All listed seem to be from outside the UK.

Jon Read 29 Sep 2022

Surprised not all the shoes reviewed had attachment loops -- a pair of shoes dangling by their laces off your harness swinging about is far from ideal when climbing. The lack of loops didn't seem to be mentioned in the reviews.

steveriley 29 Sep 2022

Roclites for me. I bought into the approach sure thing with a pair of Scarpas, but they’re more fashion than function. Rubbish on uk mud and wet grass. Trail shoes are far more useful with the bonus if it rains or I’ve got time on my hands I can run as a backup.

Dark-Cloud 29 Sep 2022
In reply to GordonHorwich:

Judging by the wear i have seen Inov8's after a few outings i doubt they would last long enough to do a review on

Also i haven't seen a pair of Walshes in the wild in years

Pina 29 Sep 2022
In reply to steveriley:

I've been totally sold on the roclites for a number of years now. They last reasonably well (more robust than some of the other Inov8 models) and for the weight perform very well. The 275's are lighter than any of the models tested in the review!

PaulJepson 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm surprised at that view because I have a pair of innov8, as does a friend of mine, which we use for approach shoes rather than running. They have shown little, if any, wear at all. Very durable soles. 

Dark-Cloud 29 Sep 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

Not my experience of Roclites at all, my Mrs uses them, had one pair fail after 30 miles in the fells another after 100 miles, i won't name the shop where they were bought from and taken back to but it was nothing new to them, quite normal in fact.

JimR 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I also was surprised to see no Inov8 Roclites, my pair are several years old and covered quite a few miles, still as good as new .. almost! Same with my mudclaws which are used in erm mud and steep grass, only issue I had with them was when I lost one in deep mud in a race

steveriley 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I get that, the uppers often go first on my Inov8s but I’m happy if I get say 8-900km out of them. Roclites have a pretty decent rand on them, my fat feet normally burst through by the little toe on the lighter models. Current pair on 600+ running plus knocking about and still looking good though.

I’ve got some Walsh under the stairs but they don’t get worn much

maxsmith 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Matt Podd:

yeah I'm really enjoying them as well, but I keep wearing through holes either side of the toe box way before the tread has died.  have you had the same problem?

Dark-Cloud 29 Sep 2022
In reply to maxsmith:

Yep that’s the general fault and can happen at <50 miles, it’s a design flaw with the way the materials and toe cap are constructed and come into contact with each other, it’s simply not good enough on a pair of £130 shoes.

Anyway they don’t fit me so I don’t use them but my La Sportiva Akasha have outlasted 3 pairs of Roclites

john345= 29 Sep 2022

Some Decathlon trail shoes are a third of the price of these, and my £43 pair outlasted and performed better than my Sportivas. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...