Problems with Salomon boots waterproof membrane

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 outdoorstu 17 Sep 2022

Anyone has any issues with the “waterproofness” of Salomon GORE-TEX walking boots?

For me they are a great fit and I can walk long distance in comfort but they seem to leak after a short period of use. Usually I can feel water seeping in from the front. 

I thought it may just be the way my toes rub the inner, I’ve had this issue with two pairs. 

However my other half bought a similar pair and after 3 days on a wet multi-day, same problem. 

Any one else have similar issues? 

DaveHK 17 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

I've never found any walking boots that rely solely on a membrane to be much good. They're either sweaty or not very waterproof or most annoyingly, both.

Some manage to be waterproof and breathable for a bit but that usually doesn't last.

Ridge 17 Sep 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Ditto. Footwear, (IMHO), just isn't suitable for membranes. Rigid boots are probably better as you don't get repeated wear at flex points. However your toes are still rubbing on the lining at some point, and a tiny bit of grit can easily make a pin hole in the membrane and then thats it - the boot leaks.

DaveHK 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> Ditto. Footwear, (IMHO), just isn't suitable for membranes.

I use trail/fell running shoes for when I'm moving fast and don't mind wet feet. When I want dry feet I've got Scarpa SLs. They're muckle things but massively better than any membrane boot at keeping my feet dry.

wbo2 17 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu: how wet is wet? 

You surr they're breathing full stop? There is a limit to how much a membrane will breathe, and its not especially cold  , which won't help

OP outdoorstu 17 Sep 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks both. I’m inclined to agree about fell runners, when not trail running I use them for days out in summer. I’ve tried seal skins too when it’s not too warm out, works well. Terrible when it’s mild and wet though, not breathable enough.

Hiking boots wise perhaps I could switch back to leathers like the SLs. My kit isn’t lightweight anyway, I like the comfort of a proper tent and decent sleeping bag, so slightly heavier boots that don’t leak at the slightest sight of water may be better. 

OP outdoorstu 17 Sep 2022
In reply to wbo2:

I did consider breathability too, but it was in bogs and fording rivers (below the ankle) in Iceland where I decided I need a new pair…

Neverwaz 17 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

Exactly the same problem with my Salomon boots. Wet toes even walking through dew. They were never any better

cezza 17 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

Grit traps between the membrane and outer fairly easily. This punctures the membrane. Want something waterproof, buy leather. 

phizz4 17 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

Yes! As you say, very comfortable (I'm on my third pair of Ultra 3 GTX), but leak after about 12 to 24 months. The last pair I bought from Wiggle and they were still within warranty, so they were replaced free of charge. If you buy from them, or Cotswold, you can get a two year warranty, which proved very useful. Other retailers may also offer the same. I will still continue to buy and wear them for their comfort, especially if you can get them at a good price. i think it's just the nature of the goretex lining, it's not very robust.

J72 18 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

I have a pair of Salomon quest 4s and my feet regularly feel wet - though it’s nearly always very warm so I think it’s actually the lack of breathability rather than water proofing issues.

they are very hot boots in what had been a very hot summer (for Scotland at least).

Root1 18 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

Membranes in boots fail early and make your feet sweat. Basically the worst of both worlds. I got a pair of Altbergs made without a goretex inner for that reason. (Regularily proofed leather is far more resilient when it comes to keeping the wet out). I asked Altberg why they do goretex lined boots and the answer was that the public relates goretex to waterproofness and so there is a demand for it, even though the boot manufacturers know its ineffective.

top cat 19 Sep 2022

Leather plus Yeti gaiters.........works for me.

T38 19 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

I owned several salomons till recently (feet are too wide now), they all leaked after awhile. I wear waterproof socks when very wet.

Neil Williams 19 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

I have never had a pair of fabric Gore Tex boots that didn't leak eventually.  Leather is probably the only way if you want lasting true waterproofness.

henwardian 19 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

I've worn goretex boots for many years from many different manufacturers and they have all started to let water in after a few months of very occasional use at the very most. Making durably waterproof beathable boots is not an easy problem like making a space probe that can make it to the moon and back, it is a hard problem that humans have not yet managed to achieve (like making durable bathroom door locks or a perpetual motion machine). Try a different manufacturer next time, at least that way you can kid yourself that you might eventually find a good set of boots.

Toerag 20 Sep 2022
In reply to outdoorstu:

In a similar thread in the past someone from one of the big outdoor shops said that all goretex liners fail well before the life of the boot expires. Pisses me off that we have to pay extra for something that's a waste of time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...